We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Platis Gialos, Ornos or Agios Ioannis

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Platis Gialos, Ornos or Agios Ioannis

Hi

Can anyone tell me which of these areas would be the best to stay in?

Originally i was going to stay in Mykonos Town but we aren't really into partying so i thought one of thee areas might be better?

We'd just like to spend our days relaxing by the beach, eating good food and maybe walking through the town.

Thanks

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Platis Gialos, Ornos or Agios Ioannis

Contrary to what you may have heard, Mykonos Town is not a gigantic party zone and can be enjoyed even by people not into partying. Although parts of the pedestrian zone in the town center will definitely be hopping late at night in July, there are plenty of hotels in areas away from bars and nightclubs that will provide a relaxing non-party atmosphere within a convenient distance of all the town's restaurants, shops and other attractions.

That said, you've asked about three specific beach areas so here goes.

Of the three, you'll find that Ornos and Platis Gialos have a bigger selection of restaurants. Ag Ioannis has the least. Platis Gialos has the superb Avli tou Thodori, which is worth visiting for a meal even if you are staying somewhere else on the island. The beach also is walking distance from the family-operated Nicolas taverna at nearby Agia Anna/Paraga beach, which serves wonderful home-cooked meals. I highly recommend both.

All three beach areas are linked to Town by regular local bus service. Bus rides are short and take less than 15 minutes each way, so it's easy to get to and from Town whenever you want. Taxis are another option if you don't feel like taking the bus, but the island only has three dozen taxis so you might have to wait a while to get one in July.

All three beach areas are within walking distance of other good beaches. Ag Ioannis is close to Kapari, and also Ornos. (Ornos, accordingly, is a short walk from Ag Ioannis.) Platis Gialos is within closer walking distance of more beaches: Psarou in one direction, and Agia Anna, Paraga and Paradise in the other. From both Ornos and Platis Gialos you can take shuttle boats to and from other south coast beaches including Paraga, Paradise, Super Paradise, Agrari and Elia.

If you don't have a strong preference of one beach area over another, flip a coin or draw straws to decide. I don't think you would be unhappy with any. I have stayed at Platis Gialos twice and enjoyed it. I haven't stayed at either Ornos or Ag Ioannis yet, but will sometime -- I like both areas. Of the three, Agios Ioannis is probably the most scenic, since it has great views of Delos and Rinia islands.

If you'd like to view dozens of photos of Ornos, Platis Gialos and Ag Ioannis, as well as pics of other Mykonos beaches and Mykonos Town, too, here's a link to my Flickr page: www.flickr.com/photos/mygreecetravelblog/

The photos are arranged in separate albums in the collection entitled "Mykonos Greece 2012" (note: I'm still organizing the photos of Mykonos Town, but they're still available for viewing.)

2. Re: Platis Gialos, Ornos or Agios Ioannis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 05:17