We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Mykonos?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Mykonos?

Hi

My friend and I will be in Mykonos from the 3rd of August till the 8th August. Could you please suggest where the best areas are to stay? Any hotel suggestions? Any 'must see' 'do's? (that aren't touristy, those hidden treasures).

Cheers

Rose

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Mykonos?

You basically have to choose between staying in Mykonos Town, or staying at a beach resort area.

If you tell us what your nightly accommodation budget is, in Euros, we can make suggestions. Mykonos has a wide variety of hotels at all price points.

For "must sees and dos," I suggest you take some time to read through previous posts on the Mykonos forum. Your question has been asked -- and answered -- frequently, and by reading through the posts you'll get an excellent overview of what there is to see and do on the island.

Here's a link to hundreds of online photos of Mykonos, which will give you an idea of how Mykonos Town compares to the beach areas: www.flickr.com/photos/mygreecetravelblog/ Look for the collection entitled Mykonos Greece 2012.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Mykonos?

Thanks for your response. Would love to find out where you stayed and why you believe that's the best area to stay. Thinking 200euros per night.

Thanks,

Rose

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Mykonos?

I have stayed at two different beach areas -- Platis Gialos and Elia -- as well as at Hotel Tagoo in the Tagoo district of Mykonos (a 15-minute walk to the north of Mykonos Town).

Elia is a very scenic area and great to be in during the daytime, but has nothing to offer at night. And it's too far from Mykonos Town -- there's bus service but I wouldn't consider it a convenient location unless you planned to rent a vehicle during your stay.

Platis Gialos is one of the island's main "family" beaches,but it's a very convenient location because there's a good selection of bars & tavernas right at the beach, it's within walking distance of four other beaches, it has shuttle boat service to other south coast beaches, and it's only a 15-minute bus ride from Mykonos Town. So it's away from the hustle and bustle of Town (which will be VERY hustling and bustling in August) yet close enough for easy access by bus.

Hotel Tagoo is a very clean and comfortable budget hotel run by a local Mykonos family. It has a great swimming pool & bar terrace with terrific sea & sunset views and it's in a quiet location. I've stayed there four times and enjoyed it each time. It gets excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and they're well-deserved. As a result, it's very popular, so it books up fast. But I highly recommend it. If you can't get a room there, other hotels in the Tagoo district are worth checking out because they offer great views and easy proximity to Mykonos Town (and the bus stations that serve the various beaches).

If you would rather stay at a beach area, check out Platis Gialos, Ornos and Agios Ioannis. They're all a short bus ride from town, and all have a selection of restaurants and bars near the beach (though Ag. Ioannis has the fewest dining options of the three).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Mykonos?

Thank you so much for all the information. You've been a huge help!!!!

5. Re: Where to stay in Mykonos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:17