We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

Appledore, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

Hi We have booked to stay 4 nights in Panormos bay for some much needed rest and relaxation during August. Then a further 3 nights in the busier resort of platis yialos, as we wanted to experience the two sides of Mykonos. We would like to explore the island but am worried about busy roads parking ect. Have driven all round kephalonia which was not a problem last August but roads were quiet there. Is hiring a car advisable whilst in the quieter area of panormos? Would like to visit mykonos town and the island of Delos if possible or would taxis be easier? Any reccomendations on reputable car hire companys greatly appreciated. Ideally want as stress free a holiday as possible & do not want to spend hours in traffic searching for parking spaces if you get my drift! Many Thanks

Edited: 13 May 2013, 18:09
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

Finding a taxi to get to/from Panormos in August could be more difficult than dealing with the traffic. If I were staying at Panormos any time of summer, I'd want to have a rental vehicle at my disposal.

You can't drive to Delos but you can park at the huge new marina parking lot at the Old Port, which is a short walk from the Delos ferry pier.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
127 Reviews
Mykonos, Greece
Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

You would be better hiring a car in Panormos than in Platis Gialos, Panormous is more remote. It is easier to get around in Platis Gialos. If it is beach and R&R you want on the Panormous section, where the beach will be quieter, and you want to see the island from Platis, then you may not need a car. Panormous has a couple of tavernas to get you out of the hotel all walkable.

Mentioned in this post
Platis Gialos Beach
Platis Gialos Beach
1,934 Reviews
Mykonos, Greece
Appledore, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

Many Thanks Donny for that advice, think we will hire for at least a couple of days.

Appledore, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

Thanks so much Jeztwyning that was my original plan just to chill for few days then venture out to mykonos town one afternoon and maybe save Delos Island to Platis Gialos part of trip.

Mentioned in this post
Platis Gialos Beach
Platis Gialos Beach
1,934 Reviews
Mykonos, Greece
5. Re: Should we hire a car in august? (staying panormos Bay area)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:18