We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trouble purchase ferry tickets online

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trouble purchase ferry tickets online

Hello,

I am having trouble purchasing ferry tickets form Hellenic Seaways and Setjets website. I put in my credit card infromation and then I am getting error code 716. I want to buy from the company directly just incase I need a refund.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,358 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

All I can find on that Error Code for Cards (Visa, Mastercard) is 'Duplicate Transaction Detected'.

So maybe you have pressed a button twice, or clear your Web Browser Temp Files and Cookies.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

Check your credit card account to see if the transaction has gone through before trying to enter it again.

Harare, Zimbabwe
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

We are also trying to book ferry tickets online and are getting the same error code. Did you find out what it all means and where you successful in doing it online in the end?

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

Unfortunately not, and no one has been able to tell me why(my credit card company or the ferry company). I suspect it is because I am using a Visa card. Try using your mastercard if you have one. I am going to try booking with an agent.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

I never have that problem, as I just wait until I get to Greece to buy my tickets, and then pay cash. What dates are your travelling?

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

We arrive in Santorini on July 8th. I am traveling from Santorini to Mykonos on July 11th and Mykonos to Rafina on July 14th. What are the chances that ferries will be booked that time of year? Our hotel is booked so I am kinda of afraid to wait.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

Hi nycgal,

First of all, you shouldn't have any problem getting from Mykonos to Rafina on Jul 14th, as there are 8 ferries to Rafina and another 3 to Piraeus that day.

For Santorini to Mykonos on Jul 11th, there are 2 Sea Jets and 1 Hellenic Seaways ferries currently scheduled. At the moment the ferry booking websites are showing FlyingCat 4, but the Hellenic Seaways website shows the much larger Highspeed 5 doing that route during high season. Highspeed 5 carries over 800 passengers, and is unlikely to be full in mid-July: hellenicseaways.gr/media/drom2013/0107_0109t…

I think what I would do if I were you is wait for awhile and try again to book the Santorini > Mykonos ferry, preferably on Highspeed 5 if that is confirmed. Chances are it won't be full anyway, so if you wait for another month you should still be okay. There must be some kind of glitch in the system, which will eventually be sorted out. If you are really concerned contact Hellenic Seaways by telephone or email: www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=293

Wait until you get to Mykonos to book the Rafina ferry. Are you returning to Athens a day or two before your flight home? If so, you may find it more convenient to go to Piraeus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

Sundays in mid July returning to Athens by ferry WILL often be very busy, do not wait until the last minute to check times and get tickets for the high speed/seajet type services.

the slower conventional ferries (MUCH cheaper at around 26e from mykonos) carry upwards over 1000 people or more so getting on those is not usually an issue except at Greek Whitsun coming up 23 June.

if you want to use the faster sea jet/high speed ferries then booking a ticket is pretty essential for a Sunday back to Athens.

they cost a lot more and the smaller seajets/high speed vessels are prone to cancellations due to high winds often found in the summer months in the Cyclades so be aware that CAN happen.

booking online this week with some ferry companies including Blue Star has been a problem...

i phoned them today from the UK and booked over the phone with my card.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 15:29
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

I was having the same problems making a booking from Mykonos to Santorini on the Hellenic Seaways website, and also receiving that error code 716. I was able to purchase tickets by changing the kind of internet browser I was using. Initially, I was using the Google Chrome browser then switched to using the Internet Explorer browser. I've learned a lot of non-US based websites or foreign made purchases aren't compatible when using certain internet browsers. Hopefully that helps.

Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trouble purchase ferry tickets online

We had the same issue this week. We emailed a travel agent in Mykonos, and they purchased the tickets for us. Our hotel is picking them up for us. Just an idea in case switching browsers doesn't work!