We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biggest rip off for Food?

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Biggest rip off for Food?

Having just returned from Mykonos, I have been asked by my friends to find out what is the biggest food rip-off on the island, following a "bread" incident at Kalo Livadi beach!

In Solymar, the beach cafe, we were offered bread. The bread was standard sliced Sesame. No oil, no grilling or baking, just plain white bread. When we got the bill, whilst the bread was free, we were charged 20 Euros for the "dips", which came with th bread. This consisted of 20ml of oil in a square dish with four drops of balsamic vinegar, 20g of Olive Tapenade, and five black Olives. I wouldn't pay this in a Michelin starred restuarant, let alone a beach cafe in Mykonos, but does anyone have a worse experience or bigger rip off?

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

I think I would have told them that I didn't order the 'dips' & refused to pay for them.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

I recall complaints a couple of years ago about another upscale beach restaurant where travellers were charged similar ripoff prices, I believe for bread and dips as well as for water. It's unfortunate to hear the practice is continuing.

I noticed on Mykonos last month that servers in some restaurants were very eager to rush bread (& sometimes dips or tapenades) as well as large bottles of water to tables, undoubtedly to pad the bill with extra charges for unsuspecting customers who may have assumed the items were complimentary (as they often are in North American restaurants). Of course, if the customers ate or drank the items, they were stuck paying for them, even if they didn't order them.

The staff at the hotel where I stayed warned newly arriving guests about the practice, and cautioned them to immediately tell servers to take away the bread and water (if they didn't actually want it). But at one very popular restaurant in Mykonos Town the servers were very fast at opening the water bottle and pouring it into glasses before customers could tell them to take it away.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

In Greek tavernas it is usual to be brought bread and be charged a small amount (e.g. 1 euro) for it. I can remember at one time it used to say on the bottom of the menu 'Cover charge including bread ...', but I've heard that this is no longer legal and if you don't want bread you don't have to pay for it. I don't eat in up-market restaurants but if anything else arrived other than bread I would ask them if there was a charge for it, and if they opened the bottle of water before I had chance to ask I would tell them so.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

I have noticed that the bottled water 'scam' is becoming more common in Greece these days. I quickly send it away if they bring it to my table.

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

In 30 years of travelling to Greece ,this has never happened to me? Maybe luck

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

The water scam is at at large in Solymar as well. Everyone's glass gets filled to brimming and a new bottle opened before you have even taken a drink! On a positive side, most taverna's gave us free desserts. Perhaps it was all the water we drank!

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

Last year we stopped off at Antonini,s for a little bit of people watching as Donny would say. We made it clear we only wanted to sit and have a drink and would not be eating . We were there for a short while and the waiter brought up a load of meze starters and advised it was free..When we received our bill we were only charged for the wine we had ordered at the exact price on the menu.

And indeed it s a great place to people watch, with great service too !!!

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

First is first ... You should not be in mykonos if your worrying over 20 euro and in North America the water they serve you is tap water, the oil is sunflower oil or corn oil if you lucky and the bread has 1500 preservatives and has an expiration date... Ha ha mykonos is an island that caters to the jet set and people that know and have aquired a taste for these bottled and baked substances .... Please yourself by going to the Caribbean until such money is saved to do otherwise ,,,,

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

The most expensive bottled water is north America

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Biggest rip off for Food?

Dessavi, you're reply is of no help at all. The OP was ripped off and has kindly warned others of this. Just because Mykonos appeals to some wealthy visitors does not mean it is ok for restaurants to fleece them.

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos