We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek isles vacation June or September?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Greek isles vacation June or September?

We are planning a vacation to Athens, Mykonos and Crete. Trying to decide between mid-June or mid -September. We want it to be warm enough to go to the beaches and enjoy the water. Please reply your advice.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

Hi there

With regards to Crete both are great times and the weather will be lovely and hot too....however, the sea will be warmer mid September - but I really don't think that there is much difference whatever suits you better I would say :-)

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

Around the Cyclades, the water will probably be a little bit warmer in mid September than in mid June but generally colder than in Crete. The sea around Crete is much warmer. The exact temperature will also depend on the location of the beach. Both June and September temperatures (ranging from 23-26C) are swimmable.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

You can compare average sea temperatures between June and September here: sailingissues.com/seawater-temperatures-gree…

Note that even on the same island there will be differences, with shallow bays warmer than beaches exposed to currents. Another factor to consider is the longer daylight hours of June.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

In my experience the sea is quite a bit warmer in September than June in the Cyclades. Another factor to consider is that June is quieter than September. There will be more people about in September.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

September, best time to go, weather still great, sea at its warmest, everything open, but fewer visitors than in July and August.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

Hey early June is a lovely time in Mykonos. The sea is warming up and yet it is not crowded. You get good service in the restaurants and bars as well. Everyone is still fresh after the winter and I guess the place is cleaner.A big bonus I think is that the flowers are still out and the town streets are ablaze in colour and you get beautiful red and pink petals cascading everywhere. I'm sure you will enjoy it whenever you decide to go.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

The one thing I dislike about early September is the number of cigarette butts mixed in with the sand. I don't find that to be a problem in June, but many high season beach goers seem to use the sand as an ashtray.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

I've noticed that as well, Heimdall. I suspect I know why nationality is responsible. It's particularly noticeable on the part of Paranga beach with no sunbeds as there is non-one to clean them up. On some beaches, especially on Koufonissi, you will see people walking round with empty water bottles filling them with cigarette butts.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

I've noticed that myself but only in Spain, thankfully not Greece so far at least. Maybe they just accumulate over the season if no-one clears them up? Then the winter storms take them away ready for next year...

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek isles vacation June or September?

GreecemadUK, I admire your diplomacy! ;-) Steve_p53, that's exactly what happens. The south-facing beaches in the Cyclades got quite a scouring last week, and no doubt there will be several more winter storms to complete the cleanup.