We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos Vs. Santorini

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Mykonos Vs. Santorini

Hi,

Me and one of my gfs (late twenties, early thirties) are heading to Mykonos and Santorini beg. of June.

Our itinerary:

Mykonos - Wednesday pm to Saturday afternoon

Santorini - Saturday late afternoon to Monday afternoon

Athens - Monday late afternoon to Thursday morning

Will that be enough time for us at both places and would we enjoy Mykonos or Santorini more? Should I extend our time in Santorini until Tuesday instead?

We both would probably club but not as hard as when we were in our early 20s. We both love exploring, historic sights, arts & culture, eating, drinking, and beaches. I've also heard that the water will be cold at this time...is this true?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos Vs. Santorini

You have fairly limited time in both islands. Imho I would pick only one - but that's me.

Santorini has unique, unforgettable views. But it does not have great night life, and it's not famous for its beaches. It's more on the quiet side, except for just where the cruise ships come.

Mykonos is much more touristy, plenty of clubbing, good beaches as long as you can deal with bigger crowds - quite comparable to Ibiza. It's a major destination. Personally, I would never go there in summer - but this might fit your vacation goals. Although early June will be a lot quieter than it will be later on.

Water should be rather cold, around 21C/ 70F in both places.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos Vs. Santorini

Its hard to say how much time people should spend in certain destinations since everybody has different like and dislikes. Your itinerary is typical of a first-time traveler who wants to see as much as they can in a short period of time. The times you have specified will get you a nice taste of each destination...if you want a more relaxing, unhurried vacation...you may want to eliminate Santorini.

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos Vs. Santorini

thanks!

Ahhh 21c. that's pretty cold for swimming. oh well, as long as I get bronzed in the sun! :)

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos Vs. Santorini

you are so right about wanting to see everything!

I am one of those people who are always on the go so I don't mind that it is a little more hurried....I figured I'd love the views of Santorini but other than that, wineries and a bit of exploring their beaches, there might not be too much I'd want to see while there. If we love it, we could probably extend our stay another day and then skip one day in Athens!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos Vs. Santorini

Since you're arriving on a Wednesday afternoon or evening, you really would have only two full days on Mykonos before departing to Santorini. That makes for a fairly rushed visit but a lot of travellers spend only two or three days on the island and still have a great time.

If you're keen to see historic sights, you really must be sure to take one of the excursions to nearby Delos island to see the famous ruins and archaeological museum. Boats leave Mykonos Town in the morning and return in early to mid-afternoon, so a Delos visit is basically a half-day trip.

If you did go to Delos one day, that would leave you just another day to check out beaches. The island has more than 20 major beaches, each of which has unique personality and appeals to different tastes. There are several party beaches (Paradise, Super Paradise and Paraga), family-oriented beaches (Platis Gialos, Ornos, Agios Stefanos), an upscale beach where people go to mingle with the rich and famous (Psarou), and a slew of others. Many can be reached on local buses, some can be reached only by rental vehicle, and some are accessible via shuttle boats that operate from Ornos and Platis Gialos.

For eating and drinking, you can't beat Mykonos -- it has more than 300 restaurants offering all types of cuisine. You can get plenty of Greek food, of course, but there's also lots of places serving excellent Italian and pizza, sushi, steak, seafood, Thai, Mexican and other international dishes.

I've got thousands of photos of Mykonos, including most of the beaches, on Flickr; they will give you a good idea of what you'll see and perhaps give you an idea of some beach areas you might like to see: flickr.com/photos/…

My travel blog also has tons of photos and information about Mykonos and Delos, including posts about popular places to eat and party: http://mygreecetravelblog.com/

And yes, the water will be cold! But you'll still be able to get that nice bronze glow -- the weather should be great.

6. Re: Mykonos Vs. Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:22