We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on our honeymoon?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on our honeymoon?

Hello,

I am looking for a place to stay on my Honeymoon in the $300-400 range. I am thinking about booking DeLight, but am concerned that is too far from the action. Would I need to rent a car out there? Any recommendations for a place to stay? We are looking for a mix of having a place to relax and lay out while still being able to go to restaurants and bars with relative ease.

Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on our honeymoon?

When are you planning to go? In low season (i.e. May) the bus service between Agios Ioannis and Mykonos Town ends fairly early in the evening, so if you didn't have a rental car you'd have to take a taxi.

In daytime, the bus service will get you around just fine.

Not many restaurants & bars that particular beach, though there are more at nearby Ornos (which is walking distance if you don't mind a 25-minute or so trek ... can't tell you exactly how long it might be, because the hotel is new and I'm not certain of its precise location).

Platis Gialos is a beach area with a good selection of restaurants, including several of the top-rated on the entire island. If that area sounds more appealing, check out the Myconian Ambassador, Petasos Beach Resort & Spa, the Nissaki and the Palladium.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on our honeymoon?

Thanks for the reply! We will be there from June 10-15. I am not really opposed to renting a car, but it is a bit of a hassle. Perhaps this is sort sighted of me, but my one hesitation about those other resorts, is that they don't look quite as nice in the pictures as DeLight (Myconian looked the nicest of the 4...) But, if DeLights location is that far out, it might be worth getting a different hotel.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on our honeymoon?

If DeLight has more appeal, I'd say go for it. The Agios Ioannis area is more picturesque than Platis Gialos and I think if I was going to Mykonos on my honeymoon I'd find that part of the island more romantic. Platis Gialos and nearby Psarou are nice, too, but I do find Ag. Ioannis (the Shirley Valentine beach) to be more scenic.

Here's a link to a photo showing the Mykonos bus schedule for mid-May 2013: http://flic.kr/p/g2sjmC

It indicates that the last bus from Mykonos Town to Agios Ioannis departed from the Fabrica bus depot at 8:30 p.m. It would arrive at Ag Ioannis about 15 minutes or so later, and make a final return trip to Town shortly after that. By the time you're planning to be on the island in June, bus service should run later into the evening. In any event, you would be able to get into Town easily enough but, depending upon how late you want to stay there for dinner, drinks, clubs etc., you might have to cab back to your hotel. No big deal there, though -- in June you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a taxi.

Here's a link to my Flickr page where you'll find dozens of albums with hundreds of Mykonos photos, including Agios Ioannis (2011 & 2012) and other beach areas: flickr.com/photos/… The photos might help confirm if Ag Ioannis the right place for you.

And here's a link to a post on my travel blog in which you can see photos and videos of Agios Ioannis: mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on our honeymoon?

Wow! Thanks for all the help. I think I will go ahead and book delight without renting a car.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on our honeymoon?

If you get there and discover that you really need wheels or would simply prefer to have them (even if only to tour around the island for a day), you'll have no difficulties finding a rental there -- the island has scores of rental agencies.

6. Re: Where to stay on our honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 06:18