We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
7 posts
Save Topic
Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

We are repeat visitors to Mykonos,and we can't wait to return in September. I was told that it has been very windy(more so than usual) and cold. Is this true?

Last time we visited,it was to windy to lay at the beach!

I know you can't predict the weather, but

We will be in Mykonos for 2 weeks,could it be that windy the whole time?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,984 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

The meltemi wind is perfectly normal it peaks in July/August but is present on quite a proportion of days all summer. Several days in succession even in September.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

I wouldn't say "cold" , but it is still pretty windy.

North Berwick...
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

Naxos and no doubt nearby Mykonos and Paros have been colder and windier than usual over the past few weeks. Locals have made comment on it.

It would appear that this is in some way related to the cause of the heatwave which has been covering northwest Europe for the same period.

Met sites I have seen suggest that the h/wave should be moderating shortly - this will hopefully bring back more seasonal weather to the islands, and no doubt all will be back to normal by September.

Certainly ,Mykonos can be windy. It is rare to find windless days in the islands but hopefully you will not be affected unduly. the wind will at least moderate any high temps and allow you to spend even more time out and about.

Check the following site which has pretty accurate predictions and comment on the weather situation

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-world.asp?

partner=accuweather&myadc=0&traveler=0

Have a great time

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

Check www.mykon.net/mtest/index.php… for Mykonos webcams (one of them is live). Currently, it IS windy...

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

I just got back from Mykonos - I was there 4 weeks ago and then again last week - it was windy but more at night. I swam, drank, partied and now have the perfect tan - can't be too bad. I had the best time - wind or no wind - mykonos is truly a piece of party paradise! I suggest you take a light denim jacket for the night ;)

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

I just got back from Mykonos - I was there 4 weeks ago and then again last week - it was windy but more at night. I swam, drank, partied and now have the perfect tan - can't be too bad. I had the best time - wind or no wind - mykonos is truly a piece of party paradise! I suggest you take a light denim jacket for the night ;)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

Mykonos weather can change drastically is what I have found. For example, in one given year's summer, yes - you had quite a bit of wind / meltemi. However, the next summer, the meltemi was almost absent the entire summer - that was very unusual.. Last time I was in Mykonos, it was a 50-50 deal.. for about 5 straight days or so you'd have the meltemi - and even COLD, yes cold in the middle of July, I'll never forget that - and then it would abruptly turn into hot and humid without any wind at all for another week straight. So, just because people tell you it's windy right now, it doesn't mean it's gonna stay that way - it goes in cycles.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

Totally agree with Princess!!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

Just FYI --- I hear the winds were BAD today. They were getting gusts of about 40 mph.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too windy in Mykonos? Has anyone just returned?

I was there first ten days of july and it was windier and colder than usual (it was my 3rd visit to Myconos in the last 10 years), especially afternoons and evenings. Last two days it was calmer. So, you never know. Anyway, the sun burns your skin as usual :)

After Mykonos I visited Ios for 7 days, the same situation, one sunny afternoon there was really strong wind (may I say sand-storm?) on Manangari Beach after calm midday, but it was funny not scary...

Don't worry, you will enjoy for sure!