We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Mykonos

South Africa
10 posts
Save Topic
First time in Mykonos

My wife and I will be travelling to Mykonos on the 19th of June to the 23rd of June. We are trying to finalize all the plans so here comes the questions:

We are both in our late 20's.

1. Is Tropicana beach bar and the rest of the island busy? Saying this we coming for the party but don't want crazy crazy crowds, but would still like it busy. We cannot afford to go in July/ August as it gets to expensive to travel.

2. Will we be fine on a budget of 100 to 150 euros a day? We have been quoted to stay at Peninos ( just making sure its Peninos beach hotel and not the other one) with breakfast and transfers included. We are working with the South African Rand so the exchange rate is killing us.

3. Are we centraly located to be able to go to the hot spots for party's?

4. Will there be any problem for my wife to wear small bikini's and tan topless and if so will she be the odd one out?

5. We have been offerd Aphordite hotel but think this is to far out from all the action?

6. Will there be any problem renting a ATV or Scooter and can you recommend any good companies?

Thanks for all the advise.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 08:48
Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Mykonos

1. Enjoy Tropicana and Super Paradise

2. Its Petinos, not peninos.

3. Most of the girls in Mykonos are topless, so dont worry about your girl

4. You can use the public bus or rent a atv, all the companies are the same just check your skooter first.

5. Aphrodite its not far. In general for every place you need transportation, even in petinos or somewhere else.

Have fun

South Africa
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Mykonos

Thanks for the info Demi.

Sorry I was ment to write Petinos not Peninos, just a typing error. I really hope things will be nice and busy during our stay. We were planning on going in 2012 but plans did not work out. This year I am going come hell or high water.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Mykonos

The party will be up and running by then with enough people to enjoy it but without the really busy crowds

As for your budget, is that per person or for two of you and is that on top of your accommodation and breakfast costs?

I don't know where the hotels are so I can't answer that part of the question.

On the beaches you can wear what you like. In some places some people wear nothing. However, I wouldn't say that most of the girls are topless. Some are, so she won't be the odd one out.

South Africa
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Mykonos

Hi GreecemadUK

Thanks for the info.

Yes you are correct. The 100 to 150 euro per day budget would be for lunch, drinks, supper and all the bits and bobs during the day for two people. Scooter hire will be paid from a seperate budget.

We have plans to start the nights by having a couple of drinks in the hotel room from out duty free shopping.

Do you think that we can work on that budget?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Mykonos

You should be able to meet your budget for food & incidentals as long as you check restaurant menus before sitting down in restaurants and ordering food (most places post their menus out front). There is a huge range of meal prices on Mykonos, but the island has a lot of high-end eateries where you could easily blow your budget just on dinner. Be sure to avoid those. Also, fish and seafood can be very expensive, so always ask what any particular piece of fish would cost before you order it to avoid a shockingly high bill at the end of your meal.

Petinos is at Platis Gialos which isn't central located but which is still a convenient location thanks to its easy access to Town by bus (under 15 minutes), shuttle boat connections to other major beaches, and walking distance to four other beaches. Aphrodite is far -- approx. 11 km -- and is not a convenient area to stay in unless you don't mind doing a lot of driving to get around every day.

Mýkonos, Kikladhes...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Mykonos

I think, in your late 20's, you may find Tropicana too young for you. Same goes for Super Paradise. Try Jackie O Beach Bar at Super Paradise, which is walking distance from Super Paradise beach bar anyway.

Your budget is fine as long as you are not very big drinkers as drinks tend to be pricey.

Topless is fine in all beaches.

Since you intend to rent scooters, nothing is far away from the action, no location is longer to reach than 30-40 minutes from any part of the island and there are great beaches every 10 minutes or so.

There are lots and lots of rent-a-Car / scooter, you will easily get one.

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Mykonos

Did you stay at the Petinos Beach Hotel or the Petinos Hotel if so can you tell me which one you preferred

8. Re: First time in Mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2016, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos