We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos to Athens

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos to Athens

Would we be better traveling to Athens by ferry or air?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos to Athens

Better in terms of what?

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos to Athens

speed of flying as opposed to the lower ferry prices.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos to Athens

That's a call only you can make!

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos to Athens

Thank s for your insightful response.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos to Athens

Look at it this way: Depending upon the timing, a flight could give you a couple more hours to enjoy Mykonos, or a couple more hours to enjoy Athens, compared to spending the entire time on a boat. And sometimes you can find deals for airfares by regularly checking the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air websites (sign up for their email newsletters to be advised of seat sales). Often the sale prices are very competitive with ferry prices.

But don't forget to take into account the time you would have to spend getting to the Mykonos airport to go through security etc and wait for the flight, plus the time it would take to collect baggage at Athens airport and then take transportation into the city center (if that's where you're headed). Once that's factored into the equation, there might not be a huge time saving to justify the cost of airfare.

Sometimes flying makes better sense but sometimes the ferry would be the best option.

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos to Athens

Thank you. But a 35 minute flight, even with a security check, is, still faster than a 4 1/2 - 5 hour ferry trip, and then no matter where you depart you still have to get into Athens. thanks again.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos to Athens

I agree, and that's the reason we have almost always flown back to Athens from Mykonos ourselves. But here on the forum there's a lot of ferry fans who would argue against flying. Some people think that the ferry trip is an ideal opportunity to read and relax and soak in the island hopping experience. Some, like me, find it an agonizingly long way to get from one point to another. It really boils down to personal preference and how you want to make use of your personal vacation time. I generally think the time saving from flying can justify the higher price -- I just don't like being cooped up in any kind of vehicle for long periods!

new york
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos to Athens

Though ferries, at least the short ones, Woods Hole to the Vineyard, or to the San Juan Islands, can be pleasant the longer ones, Hyannis to Nantucket or Farharto to Culebra can be trying. Since this is an almost 3 week trip and having spent too much time on trains from Como to Padova last year I'd rather get to my destination quickly.

'

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos to Athens

Then you've answered your own question.

The point Donny was making is that overall travel time for a flight would be around 3½ hours when you factor in transfer time and waits at the airports. For ferries you need to be at the port only 30 minutes before departure, and there is no security check to go through. It takes about 20 minutes to get from Piraeus to central Athens.

Travel by Blue Star from Mykonos to Piraeus is more like a cruise than a ferry ride. These are large seagoing vessels, and if you opt for business class you can sit on comfortable sofas with stewards in white jackets bringing drinks and food to your table. Anytime you like you can stroll out to the open deck and watch the scenery. This is an especially scenic route with the ferry stopping at Tinos and Syros, then sailing along the Attica coast to Piraeus Harbour. It takes about 3 hours longer than the flight, but I would rather do that than sit around an airport terminal.

10. Re: Mykonos to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:16