We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in July

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in July

Our Star Clippers cruise has a short stop here in July. We'll be there from approximately 10:00-17:00. Our party consists of my parents (68 and 70), my husband and I (46), and my daughters 10 and 15. Our time is short. What would you recommend us doing? Thanks!

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in July

Have a look here:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g662620-Activiti…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in July

Your options are: 1) Spend your time wandering around Mykonos Town and environs; 2) Going to a beach; 3) Taking a ferry to Delos island to see the archaeological ruins; and 4) A combination of some of the above. All have been described ad nauseam in past posts in the forum, so spend some time looking through previous posts and you'll find a wealth of information and suggestions on what to do with your time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in July

Thanks so much for the links! I'm not very familiar with how hard it is to get around. My dad has some problems walking sometimes. The places that look interesting to me are Castle Panigirakis and Matoyianni Street. My dad is interested in History, too. We'll be doing a few days in Athens. I'm not sure if we should hire a private guide or driver. There are six of us so that can be difficult, too. I know seven hours isn't long. Thanks again for everyone's help.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in July

Hi MNASF - Did you make any decisions? Seems like we are in the same position! (Elderly father and 7 people coming in on a Celebrity cruise!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in July

I think we're going to take the ferry to Delos Island. My understanding is that we can do this ourselves. Our cruise starts this week in Venice. I can update you on how things really go if you'd like.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in July

You don't need to take a cruise ship excursion to see Delos .... you can do it entirely on your own as most Delos visitors do. Tickets for the ferries can be purchased at the kiosk on the pier near the Mykonos Town Hall. See the Delos Tours website for further details: http://www.delostours.gr/en/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in July

Thanks so much! We'll do it on our own. Do we need a private guide to tell us what we're seeing? I hope to have time to go to the island and then walk around the town a bit. Thanks for your advice.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in July

If you don't take one of the guided tours (which, of course, cost extra), you won't have a clue what you are looking at as you walk past the scores of ruins -- unless you have a good guidebook.

Some travel guides, like the annual Greek Island Hopping books by Thomas Cook Publishing, have reasonably decent maps and explanations of the Delos ruins. They won't provide the detail and the colourful historical anecdotes that professional guides will offer the groups, but they'll do in a pinch.

You can always try approaching some of the guides inside the entrance gate to ask what they would charge for you to join their tours. Sometimes they will take additional people for as little as €10 per person.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in July

Thanks so much for your suggestions on understanding it. A guide would be helpful.

10. Re: One Day in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:16