We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Hi,

I wil be visiting Mykonos from a Cruise ship and ai have the whole afternoon till 11 at night.

Can you suggest a fab beach and maybe a rest to stay for the evening before we get back on board?

thankyou very much again!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Four beach options:

Psarou if you want to mix and mingle with the rich, famous and beautiful

Platis Gialos if you want a family oriented beach with good restaurants and easy walking access to four other beaches (Psarou, Agia Anna, Paraga and Paradise)

Paraga for a hip beach vibe and a bit of a party scene

Agios Ioannis if you want to be able to tell your friends you went to the Shirley Valentine beach

Some restaurant options:

Avra, Bakalo, Funky Kitchen, Lotus, Mamalouka, Roca Cookery, Sea Satin Market .... just take a stroll around Mykonos Town and you'll find plenty of places that will suit your fancy ... check the menus out front to see if the food selection & prices suit your tastes and budget

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Ohh please nooooo really don't want to mingle with the rich and famous..I go for clear waters snorkeling and sun tan...and good food!

we are planning to rent a car but maybe there is no need...could we reach these places by bus or..? Any advice on car rentals?

thanks again!

Edited: 14 June 2014, 21:28
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

I think Paraga and Platis Gialos would be your best bets ... both are very nice beaches and there's good places to eat and get drinks at both. You can take a local bus to both of them, and as I mentioned above there's just a short walk between the two beaches, so you could spend time at both or change locations if one doesn't suit you. (By the way, there's an excellent family restaurant called Nikolas Taverna at little Agia Anna beach, which is in between Paraga and Platis Gialos, so it would be a great spot to go for lunch or drinks.)

If you have a rental car, you could easily reach some of the more "remote" beaches that are not served by buses and that are not packed with rental umbrellas and lounge chairs (and of course not as packed with people). These include Agios Sostis, Panormos, Ftelia, and Fokos beaches. Note that these beaches have fewer choices for food & drinks, sometimes with just one taverna or beach bar being available.

You can see photos of almost all of the major beaches on Mykonos in various albums on my Flickr page ... they will give you an idea of how each beach area looks. Here's a link to the photos: http://tinyurl.com/MykPicSets

mykonos
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Kalo Livadi beach has it all too!,A long very fine powdered sandy beach,great views,3 top Eateries,Having spoken to so many travellers it is by far the best! I know having lived here since 1991! But then again it is Mykonos and everywhere is beautiful!

mykonos
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Oh I forgot to mention,The picture you see is actually KALAFATIS BEACH

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Thankyou.....any idea how much will it cost to get there by taxi or os there a bus?

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
329 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Donny, thanks for the suggestion of Platis Gialos. I like that we can walk to restaurants and other beaches from there.

We are coming by cruise ship so I assume we need to take the shuttle bus to town and then find the bus to Platis Gialos? Are there any tricks to this or bus is easy to find/ well marked with destination?

About how frequently do the buses run?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

majesty318, if your ship is docking at Tourlos you'll have the option to take the shuttle bus to Mykonos Town, or the privately-operated Mykonos SeaBus. They both will drop you off at the Old Port right at the town; however, the SeaBus takes you to a pier which is closer to the commercial center (and will save you 10 minutes of walking).

<<bus is easy to find/ well marked with destination?>>

Yes and no. Destinations are marked clearly, but finding the bus is a challenge because you have to get to the bus station at Fabrika Square, which is on the opposite side of the town's commercial center from where you will be dropped off by the cruise ship shuttle or the SeaBus. With the town's streets laid out in a maze, walking from point A to B is tricky because there is no direct route to the buses. The vast majority of visitors wind up getting lost briefly or going in circles a few times before finding the way. But you just have to ask local shop & restaurant staff to point you in the direction to Fabrika and you'll find it.

Buses to and from Platis Gialos run frequently ... hourly in low season and more often during the peak summer months. A taxi ride one way would cost you around €10 to €12.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Super Paradise!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mykonos for a long afternoon....best beaches??

Not accessible by bus!