We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos Town or Beach Hotel?

Brooklyn, New York...
1 post
Save Topic
Mykonos Town or Beach Hotel?

My boyfriend and I are going to Mykonos for three nights and want to hang at the beach and party in the evening. Based on what I've seen, the partying happens in Mykonos Town, which is not walking distance to the beach, and buses do not travel between the two late-night. We're assuming, then, it's best to stay in Mykonos Town and just bus to the beach during the day, but some of the beach hotels look amazing, and I find it hard to believe that there isn't a demand for people to get between the two at night.

So.... Where should we stay to get the best of both worlds? Can someone also give me current rates for taxis from the general beach area and Mykonos Town, and how likely we are to get one in the middle of the night?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos Town or Beach Hotel?

Hi Allie

What time of year are you looking at?

I am a bit surprised by your comments - seems the opposite of my experience.

I went to Mykonos in June and there were parties on the beaches at night advertised everywhere. Also there were busses running between the beaches and Myk town until the small hours of the morning in June/high season.

There is no one specific beach area - if you google Mykonos beaches, you will find there are many.

Beach resorts (as in places with hotels) are places such as Agios Ioannis, Platis Gialos, and Ornos. These beach resorts are places with restaurants and beach bars - not really night clubs/beach parties.

Beaches where the "proper" parties happen are places such as Paradise, Super Paradise etc. I don't think there is much accomodation out there, perhaps others can advise better than I.

Taxis can be hard to find, especially at night in high season. We saw people arguing over a taxi at 11pm in Myk town in June.

To give you an idea, a taxi to mykonos town from Agios Ioannis in the day time was around 10E.

I hope this helps.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos Town or Beach Hotel?

<<My boyfriend and I are going to Mykonos for three nights >>

When? What month?

<<Based on what I've seen, the partying happens in Mykonos Town>>

Not correct. Mykonos Town has the most bars, but there are daily parties at Paradise beach (home to beach bars and two huge clubs that host overnight parties with top international DJs) and you'll find regular parties at Super Paradise and Paraga as well, plus parties at Psarou, Panormos, Kalo Livadi and others depending on time of season. There also are parties at venues situated along the highway between Mykonos Town and Ano Mera.

<<buses do not travel between the two late-night.>>

Not correct. Bus service to Paradise & Platis Gialos (the two most popular beaches) is extended into the middle of the night (4 a.m.-ish) during peak season (July & August) and from Ornos & Agios Stefanos the last bus back to Town in peak season is around 2 a.m. or a bit later. Often there is service throughout the night to Paradise when there are overnight parties at the big clubs, and for some events shuttle bus service is available.

<<hard to believe that there isn't a demand for people to get between the two at night>>

There is a demand, but the bus service is privately operated and I'm sure if they could make a profit offering round the clock service to beaches they would be doing it. Until that happens, travellers have to rely on taxis and there are only 30 on the entire island.so in July & August they're in high demand.

<<Where should we stay to get the best of both worlds?>>

The general consensus is that it's best to stay in/near Mykonos Town so you can get to beaches easily by bus during the day, and be walking distance to clubs & bars late at night. I suggest you stay wherever you prefer to stay, and work around the transit difficulties.

<<current rates for taxis from the general beach area and Mykonos Town>>

There are over two dozen major beaches at areas all over the island, so rates vary from beach to beach -- there is no standard rate. Besides, the taxis have meters.

3. Re: Mykonos Town or Beach Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos
Recent Conversations