We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos hotel prices 2015

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos hotel prices 2015

Hi All. I have been to Mykonos a number of times over the past 25 years, including the last four years when we have been every year. As such, I am very aware of how expensive Mykonos is. I normally book my hotel in the August for the following year, which has been either via Mykonos Accommodation Centre or direct with the hotel. However, this year, in trying to book for 2015 (July/August - when we always go), I seem to be hitting a brick wall. Every hotel I try (inc Mykonos Accommodation Centre) are coming back to me saying they're not setting their prices until October/November, and something is giving me very bad 'vibes' that the price increases for next year are going to be going through the roof, and therefore potentially 'pricing-out' ordinary hard-working folk such as myself and my husband. I believe that Mykonos tourism was up 40% this year (post recession?) - it certainly was busier when we were there a few weeks ago, so it could be this tourism increase and the fact that no-one will give me a price for next year, that's giving me the jitters (businesses, inc hotels, will put their prices up if demand is high - but seriously, how much more expensive can Mykonos get!). Anyway, is there anyone out there who has been experiencing the same problem, or am I just being a neurotic/impatient female! :o) Kind regards, Jill

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos hotel prices 2015

Mykonos tourism actually is up more than 50% over last summer (which was a 50% increase from 2012), and a survey by Trivago showed that hotel rates for July of this year had surged over 60% above the same time in 2013: mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

The travel boom is expected to continue in 2015 so I'm not surprised that many hotels are waiting until after the end of this tourist season to determine their prices for next year. On top of that, i've read that many local businesses and municipal officials wants to position the island as an upmarket destination for the affluent travel market (as if it isn't already). So brace yourself for higher rates.

Mykonos clearly isn't a destination for ordinary hard-working tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos hotel prices 2015

Hi Donny B, Thanks for your reply - my vibes were right then! (At least that proves I wasn't just being neurotic!). Oh yikes, for someone who is a Mykonos devotee this is really worrying. Having just spent two weeks in Mykonos, at peak season when it was packed with tourists, and having spent a lot of that time 'people watching' (one of my favourite past-times!) I can quite confidently say that a significant number of tourists didn't come under the affluent umbrella. So here's a message for those businesses and municipal officials who are wanting to turn Mykonos into an 'affluent only' destination - there are a lot of pensions/guest houses/hotels in Mykonos that will never appeal to the affluent. There are a lot of shops that the affluent weren't/won't shop in. There are a lot of gyros restaurants that the affluent weren't/won't eat in - they were packed with 'ordinary' tourists. And what about the little boats ferrying people to beaches around the island - do the affluent travel on those - I don't think so. Here's hoping that not all hoteliers will jump on this price hike bandwagon! Kind regards, Jill

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos hotel prices 2015

The other factor in the equation, Jill C, is that most hotels and restaurants either froze or reduced their prices during the economic crisis, even though their taxes spiked and their business costs continued to climb. Now that Mykonos is on the rebound, you can expect many places will be looking to recoup their losses.

I agree there's a lot of accommodation, shops & restaurants geared to "ordinary" folk that the affluent would never patronize, and here on TA there were scores of posts by people struggling to find cheap rooms this summer. There clearly is a high demand for reasonably priced food & lodging. But as a destination goes upmarket, prices across the board tend to follow suit and affordable bars & restaurants get replaced with highend lounges and sushi bars. And with more new hotels planned for Mykonos, all 4-star or higher, the place isn't going to get any cheaper, unfortunately.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Auckland
Level Contributor
151 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos hotel prices 2015

Darn, might be rethinking my first visit to Mykonos next year then.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos hotel prices 2015

Hi Kiwidreamer - sorry, don't mean to thwart your plans for a holiday to Mykonos next year! I am spending all my waking hours researching accommodation options - I will not let those Municipal 'officials' put me off. :o) I hope you get something booked. Jill

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
6. Re: Mykonos hotel prices 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:16