We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Georges Beach

Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
St Georges Beach

Hi all,

Any recommendations for somewhere to stay at St Georges? From what I have read, this seems to be a good spot to stay for a few days. Close to beach and to the town...

I would like somewhere friendly and clean. Not too pricey or too cheap and nasty, but aiming for less than 50 Euros a night ( I could be dreaming and let me know if I am.) I would like somewhere that has or is nearby places to meet others. A back-packers is great to meet people, but I'm not so sure about bunking in with strangers... Suggestions please!

Thank-you in advance.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,114 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Georges Beach

Hi,

You can look up options in TA by putting St. George in the search column, or look up these sites for ideas:

http://www.naxosnet.com/

http://www.naxos-island-greece.com/

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Georges Beach

I hope you are talking about going there some time OTHER than the first 3 weeks in August -- anywhere in the Cyclades will be difficult to find a room now; it will be packed, so you can just pray & hope.

Other than that, there is a wide range of hotels in St. George -- Ihave recommended St. George to many people, and the best website I have recently found for a full range of prices is this:

www.thegreektravel.com/naxos/hotels.html

It pictures the hotels, and clicking on them gives details, often prices, and if not, prices are available when you contact them by e-mail. In May I routinely get double rooms at 30-35E often including breakfast. Single rooms are harder to come by, but they rent you doubles at 20-25% off the double rate.

THere are few "back-packer" places in Naxos of the type you describe; a couple of Camping places, but no 'dorm' facilities. I think you will find many places to meet people in St. George cafes or Naxos Old town cafes/bars, or the beaches.

You're right about the convenience -- you get a beach view, and you can walk in a few minutes to the tavernas, clubs, cafes and shops by Naxos Old Town harborside. And if you linger late, when the busses have ceased running, it's nice not to have to find a taxi.

St. George is shallow for swimming; good for a 'dip" tho. And if you want deeper water, the frequent busses take you in 15 mins or so to the 3 beaches on down the line, Ag. Prokopios, Ag. Anna, Plaka. All have the golden sand Naxos is noted for.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Georges Beach

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am planning on arriving in June, around the second or third week of June. Does that change anything?

I'll look up the suggested site. Thankyou!

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Georges Beach

Hi bellalombella

At this time in June you will gave no problems finding a room. I am usually at Naxos at this time and it is much less busy than August but still with enough people around to give the place a buzz !

Enjoy your trip

5. Re: St Georges Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 04:18