We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

Hello! I have decided to include Naxos into my itinerary for June 2008 but unfortunately the day we would need to travel is Wednesday.

Can somebody please advise whether Hellenic Seaways operates on Wednesdays in June (around the 25th so the tail end) between Mykonos and Naxos? What about Santorini and Naxos?

We would very much like to visit Naxos in June so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

There are ferries every day between Naxos and Santorini all year round. It's an established route that hasn't changed for years.

The situation between Mykonos and Naxos is a bit different and you'll have to wait until about a month before you travel for the schedules to appear. My guess is that you will be OK for the day you want whether it's Hellenic or some other company.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

At that time in June there has been a Sea Cat (which I believe is Hellenic Seaways) daily between Mykonos and Naxos for several years. Like mentioned above, the schedule will hardly be available before a month or so ahead of your journey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

That's about the only 'hitch' in trying to plan out a trip...I totally understand coming the (huge) distance, you'd like to have it pretty well laid out and may be hesitant to book hotels! Chances are you'll get to where you want to get..Only rule of thumb I stick to is a 24 hour window..flexibility is key..as either the day before/after will work:) If you're 'loosely' travelling it's not an issue but if you're looking to lock into specific hotels on the isles it can get a little hairy but as stated, June should present no problems as it's tettering on 'full-swing' but not exactly there yet! ... Enjoy!

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

Thank you for your replies. I realize I just need to trust the process and schedule our itinerary according to the experts on this board.

I have an additional question: is this itinerary do-able or a bit too hectic?

2 nights Mykonos

2 nights Naxos

3 nights Santorini

Since we are not party people we opted to spend the additional day in Santorini rather than Mykonos. Is this too much travel in 7 nights and should I narrow it down to just 2 islands?

Thank you again for your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

The great thing about these open forums is that everyones' got an opinion and am sure you'll get varying ones here:) So, is it doable? yes...is it hectic?, IMO, yes...Purely personal choice...and how you plan to spend your vacation. You can usually knock off at least a third (if not more) of a day that includes any inter-isle travel (and lots more depending on distance)...lots of packing/unpacking..so if you're interesting in REALLY seeing all 3 in a relatively 'fast-forward' pace, go for it...If you'd like a bit more time on each isle with less scurrying around trying to make connections, etc..I'd cut it back to 2...you'd get a bit more of an 'isle' feel as well as get to know the area (and a local!) a bit better.. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime..'don't know when we'll be back' do it! Consider your 'style' and if you prefer a faster-paced or more laid back vacation...I know, difficult to decide..but..chances are, you WILL be back:):) Enjoy!

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

Thanks Litsa!

Last year we did a somewhat hectic, whirlwind tour of Italy from Venice to the Amalfi Coast in two weeks and as memorable as it was, this time we'd like to slow the pace a little.

Therefore I think the better option would be to choose two islands at three days each (either Santorini and Mykonos or Santorini and Naxos). This way if we want to visit a third island we can possibly daytrip it instead. I agree that checking in and out of hotels and ferrying from place to place requires not only time but energy which I'd really rather save for relaxation.

Thanks for clearing that up....will definitely do just two islands and make sure we have time to 'stop and smell the roses' (and the gyros, the sea breeze, the bougainvelia, etc. etc.)! Appreciate your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

My pleasure:) ... Although I don't know your entire itinerary (am assuming it's not just 7 days from CA?!)..wouldn't cut Athens short.. alloting your last night prior to your international flight departure is always a good idea to ensure making it!! I don't know your flight plans but it will be a long one...arriving pretty 'lagged'..so you may want to spend a night in Athens..OR..brave souls that you are.. possibly just get it over with and head straight to your first isle getting the most out of it...Would then suggest at least your 2 final nights in Athens to explore this marvelous City...You'll be ready after a relaxed stay on a 'couple' of isles:):) Keep Enjoyin'!

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

Litsa,

No we'll be spending the first part of our trip in Sicily. Hope you don't mind my running by my (hopefully) final itinerary very quickly for further input:

Fly into Catania, Sicily

5 nights in Taormina

Fly to Athens, then fly to Mykonos

3 nights Mykonos

3-4 nights Santorini

2 nights Athens

Return to CA from Athens

If there's anything remotely stressful or unworkable about this schedule, please let me know. Trying real hard not to be over-achieving 'over-travelers' in our planning and keep things simple.

Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

NOW you're talking:):) You'll certainly appreciate those final 2 nights in Athens! Itinerary sounds great to me:):) ...Now the wait till June!! Keep Enjoyin'!

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do ferries operate on Wednesdays to Naxos?

Hello

If you cant get direct boat to Naxos from Myconos there is a daily mid morning fast boat, "Seajet 2", to Paros where you can get the Blue Star "Paros" to Naxos ! you will have a wait of only 1 hour at Paros and arrive at Naxos at 12.40

Hope this helps