We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos Hotel

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos Hotel

I would like to stay at a beach area in Naxos close to town, which I guess means St. George Beach. The pictures I have seen of this area seem a bit congested for my tastes. Is there a hotel in this area that is somewhat removed from the masses of daily beach-goers, yet still close enough to town to walk at night? Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos Hotel

What time of year are you going?? In May or June, this beach is just nicely populated -- later it is quite crowded. If you are talking August, forget about it.

You don't say what your budget is? If you are upmarket, the Naxos Royal is back from the beach a way and has a lot of ground around it ...

Here are 2 websites that have MANY St. George listings -- many hotels are on both sites, so you can look at both presentations... they tt show both the interior and the exterior and in the first link oftenshowing exact location on beach.

naxos-island-greece.com/naxos-hotels/naxos-h…

www.thegreektravel.com/naxos/hotels.html

When you send your inquiry, you can ask for more specifics about where there the hotel is, in relation to the sand and other hotels.

You are not advised to stay at the very farthest end of St. George Beach away from the town, as there is some marshy land back of it, and friends tell me that consequently there are mosquitoes. Staying near the town end, I have never had that problem.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos Hotel

There is no reason why you can't stay closer to the town end and enjoy a quieter beach as well - its only one minutes wander down the boarded beach walk to the quieter bit of the beach, where you can set up for the day. There are some good tavernas down there like Trata and Paradise with sun beds and parasols. Don't forget for a couple of euros you can hop on a bus for 15 minutes and go to an almost empty Plaka beach too.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos Hotel

Thanks for the good insight. I am traveling in June and looking for a medium priced hotel. It's just that some of the pictures I've seen of ST George beach show wall to wall people on the beach....but could be that is just in August. Thanks for your perspectives.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos Hotel

Hi Tomtravel. Then you will be absolutely fine in June. I usually go in June (will be there next year for the last two weeks), although I have done September as well. The rule is - avoid July and August unless you want to be a sardine :)

June is a lovely time to visit - just starting to get the buzz, plenty of room on the beaches, not too busy in the town and everyone is still fresh, on form and not yet jaded from the season.

We are staying at Naxos Studios which are right on the beach at St. George with balconies over looking the sea. These go for about 40E a night, but her other rooms are 30E a night. Thats about the price for most of the rooms at that time of the year I think, you may even get cheaper if you are on a budget. I have booked already though, because I knew where I wanted to stay - even for June, its advisable to do this, although there are always rooms available if you don't have a preference. They nearly all have little mini-buses waiting at the harbour for the ferries coming in,hoping to pick up guests, so if you are going 'on the fly' then you really won't have a problem.

Soissons, France
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos Hotel

try hotel Glaros: http://www.hotelglaros.com/index.html

6. Re: Naxos Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 14:16