We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from athens to naxos

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
61 reviews
ferry from athens to naxos

Hi. I am wanting to get a ferry from Athens to Naxos Sep 22 2008. We arrive in to Athens on a flight arriving 1400. Is it possible to catch a ferry with that time restraint? Is it best to book now or would it be safe to leave it till closer to the time? Do the ferry companies have last minute specials? What is the best way to get from the International Airport in Athens to the port - there will be 2 adults and 2 children (15 and 10). Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Just catch the X96 bus straight to Piraeus from the airport, runs every 15 mins, takes roughly 1 hour. There should be a ferry (BlueStar) to Naxos about 17:30 from Piraeus takes 5 hours. You should be OK timewise assuming flights on time.

You can buy tickets in the airport or in Piraeus whatever you wish.

bluestarferries.com/ENGLISH/defaultmain.htm

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

many thanks for the reply. It's great to be able to get the information independently as Travel Agents seem to encourage you to take their option (at a huge expense!) i.e airport to port prearrange transfers, which it seems is not that necessary. We have done a bit of travelling as a family so prefer to do the independent thing. Happy travels

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
3. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Can you buy tickets online with Blue Star? I will be in the same situation. I find the listing types very confusing, [economy, etc.] it's just a few hours, I don't need a cabin or anything. What would they call just a seat?

Thanks.

Lingo

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
4. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Yes, you can book online, but unless you are traveling during high season (Jul-Aug), or on Pentacost weekend (mid-Jun), it isn't necessary. The Blue Stars hold over 1,400 passengers.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,209 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Yes, you can book direct with Bluestar if you wish, totally unnecessary in late September they are large ships and won't be full.

Economy/deck - This is what you will be sold as a 'standard' by the ticket sellers. You just look around for a spare seat on the inside or outside wherever you wish. There are also bar/restaurant/unallocated seats etc.

Aircraft seat No. - Exactly that, a designated seat in a lounge. Costs a couple of euros more.

1st class is just a more comfortable seating area in a separate lounge with waiters and suchlike.

Virtually every ferry is a different design.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
6. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Thanks a lot Heimdall!

I didn't know about this "pentacost weekend" stuff at all. Thank you for the huge heads up! I wouldn't have known that. Any idea when it is in June, or where I can find out info about it & how it could affect me on each island?

I'd rather be safe than sorry, I will likely book my boat before I head out.

Thanks again!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Pentecost is no issue for you at all -- Greek Easter is April 27. Pentecost (kids don't take latin any more) is 50 days after Easter ... that brings you to June 14-15-16 as Pentecost weekend. No problem!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Forgot to address the pre-booking business... I would not do that if I were you. They may set some requirement of where you pick up the tickets, or else charge some enormous fee to Fedex it to NZ. Do not be a "worry wart." Buy the tickets at Piraeus.... you will be there several hours before the ferry departs.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
9. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

But what about high season?

If this happened to you, what company was it with?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: ferry from athens to naxos

Liingo, lingo, lingo... this is what happens when you "piggyback" a query on someone else's thread. I started to answer your concern about buying tickets ahead -- but in this "new improved format" of TA, as soon as you click on "reply" every other message except the orginal post disappears (!!!!#@$*&((grr).

Therefore I was replying to Kiwi fo New Zealand, saying that Pentecost was nowhere near his September visit.

However, from another post of yours, I now see that you are in JUNE. June is not high season. What YOU have to look out for are the dates from about June 12th through June 16, for going from Pireaus to Naxos. And as I remember, you did NOT give us your June Dates -- you only said "2 weeks in June".

If you are landing in Athens from overseas on JUne 13 and want to take that ferry --yes, you should book ahead. Otherwise, when you land, simply go directly to the AMphitryon Travel agency in Athens Airport, which is open 24 hours/ 7 days a week, and buy your Naxos tickets & your onward tickets to other islands. THere are multiple sailings daily from Piraeus to Naxos, and multiple sailings from Naxos to Santorini. The ONLY single-o sailing is the one I told you about, from Santorini to Sifnos. That's because it has lower tourist "traffic." and that's what you want is it not.

Next time you post, remember to put your exact dates of arrival departurea nd preferred dates for moving from one island to the next, and we shall not have to use ESP to help you. Happy trails!