We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

keeptravellingmore
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

Any suggestions on seating on Blue Star Naxos ferry from Athens to Astypalea? I will be travelling alone, with luggage and want to secure a comfortable seat for the 10 hour journey as I would have just flown in from Hong Kong, via London. Hope to be able to catch some sleep on the journey!

I would prefer an assigned seat, so that even if I move around to stretch my legs, I can still come back to my own seat. A non smoking area would also be ideal. I am leaning towards a business class seat, but do not know if it will recline. Also have no idea where luggages will be stored?

I have tried to get this information on the Blue Star Ferry website but they are rather vague. Furthermore, no one seems to be willing to send the tickets to Hong Kong and I am worried about not having enough time upon landing at the Athens airport and getting to Piraeus to collect my tickets.

I would be most grateful for any advice.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

I can't answer specifically in relation to your particular ferry, but I travelled with Blue Star from Naxos to Piraeus just a few weeks ago. We opted for the airline type seats and found them very comfortable. The travel agent we bought our tickets from urged us not to purchase business seats, but to check out the section once onboard and upgrade then if we chose. I'd guess the upgrade option is available on most Blue Star Ferries, and would suspect business class doesn't tend to sell out. We decided to stick with our airline seats. The business section did have a lovely glassed view at the very front, but seemed to be all modular seating not as well designed to rest your back for a long trip.

We went ahead and stored our luggage in the main hold only to find on boarding a small rack at the back of the airline seating area. Again, I don't know if this holds true for all Blue Star ferries.

Susan

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

When I went to Astypalaia I bought a business class ticket and made sure I was almost the first to board the ferry.

I chose the best possible seat (business class is a lounge, so you don't have an assigned seat) and waited patiently for the ferry to get to Paros and Naxos. By that time it was only me, my boyfriend and one bloke in the whole lounge and we had a good 5 hours to get some sleep.

Whichever type of seating you choose, bring along a couple of sweaters cause it's always freezing in Blue Star ferries.

keeptravellingmore
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

Hey

Thank you both for the helpful suggestions. I just hope I have enough time to make it from the airport to the ferry!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

Either that, or you'll have to catch an earlier flight or a later ferry.

You are mostly welcome!

5. Re: ferry seating from Piraeus to Astypalea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 16:21