We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

France
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

I would like to stay in Naxos and I don't know what would be the best for me: Pyrgaki or Agiassos ?

I'm looking for a VERY quiet beach without any music (very important!!!) and with few people.

What do you think ?

I've found a room in Pirgaki: skarmoutsos.Does someone know skarmoutsos ?

I've found a room in Agiassos : Strouvalis. does someone know it ?

Thank you for any information :-)

Bye !

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

Hi Emmaayari

Sorry you have got no replies just yet so I hope this starts things off. I dont know either of the properties so cant comment perhaps someone may have stayed there and will help.

Both beaches are a long way from Naxos town but I think the better choice is Pirgaki. There are several beaches in walking distance and unless you go in high season there will be few people there, definatley no sun beds and music. Behind the main beach there a handfull of rooms/small hotels and a charming small Taverna where the lady has no menu but shows you whats avalable that day in the kitchen.

The next beach is a lovely sheltered cove then there's the beaches beneath the cliffs at Alyko, beyond the Cedar forest. Around the headland Kastraki beach stretches 4km to Mikri Vigla, again empty unless in high season.

The dirt road from Pirgaki to Aghiassos is dificult to negotiate and I dont think the beach is as good.

From Pigraki there are other tavernas a short walk or drive.

Hope this helps

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

It would be useful to know what time of year you intend to visit as it can make a big difference to recommendations. Most of the beaches will be quiet out of high season and in any event, you don't tend to hear music on the west coast beaches from Maragas southwards.

Moutsouna on the east coast of Naxos is often overlooked but it's well worth thinking about as it is too far from town for most people to bother about. It has very quiet sandy beaches to the south of the village - not the finest on the island but good. Moutsouna itself is a quiet spot with just a few tavernas serving excellent fish and traditional Grrek food.

France
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

I go there in July ( I have no choice )that's why I ask .

Thank you very much for your advice.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

Back on 13 October I replied to your post of 27 August regarding Pyrgaki vs. Aghiasos. Maybe you missed it so I'll repeat it here:

"Pyrgaki is kind of an end of the world type place. It's at least 20 km. from Naxos town and aside from some beautiful beaches there's not too much down there. The paved road ends at Aliko and a packed sand road extends eastward to Pyrgaki. At the end of this road there's a big broken-down hotel complex that was built around 1990 and then apparently went bankrupt. While two or three other smaller hotels have since been built along the road with a taverna or two, the old Pyrgaki hotel gives the area a depressing feel.

Aghiasos on the other hand is extremely hard to get to. I drove down there several years ago - it's a dirt road all the way and if I recall correctly, not very well maintained. There was I recall a type of hotel there with a taverna. If you choose to go there you defintely won't be disturbed by noise or crowds!"

Both Mikri and Philhellene have also given good advice. I agree with Philhellene that south of Maragas you shouldn't have difficulty finding a place without having to listen to loud music. In fact, with all the nice little hotels along Plaka Beach, I can't imagine anyone wanting to holiday way down where you are planning. The only positive thing I can think of is that even in July I doubt you'll be troubled by crowds that far south.

Anyone else elaborate on this?

5. Re: Pirgaki or Agiassos ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Naxos