We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Topic
Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

This question came about in reponse to another post about ferries, but I thought it deserved its own thread. I am very probe to seasickness - sometimes I even get sick riding on mountain roads. I have discovered that being the driver helps eliminate the queasy feeling when riding in the mountains. Does anyone have any helpful hints like that for ferries? I don't think they'll let me drive the boat!

We will be taking a ferry from Naxos to Santorini and also an excursion boat to Delos and Mykonos. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

I have terrible motion sickness, doesn't have to be a boat or curvy roads, pretty much anything that moves gets me. Here's what I've found:

- antihistamines are VERY effective. They include Dramamine, Benadryl, Bonine. Note that Benadryl is *much* cheaper than Dramamine, but has the same effect. I have noticed that Dramamine is faster-acting (it's not coated), whereas Benadryl takes longer to start working but lasts longer (it's coated and each tablet is twice the size of a Dramamine). I usually carry both: Benadryl for when I know in advance I'll need it; Dramamine for emergencies.

- powdered ginger capsules. I haven't seen these for sale, so I buy empty gelatin capsules (size 00) and fill them with powdered ginger that I buy at a spice store. I usually take three of these capsules, every 4 hours, but at least 2 hours before I get in the car/boat. Each capsule is about 550 mg, so it's about 1.5 grams every 4 hours. Crystallized ginger doesn't work as well for me, but it works for some people.

- I tried the "Sea Bands" (acupressure bracelets) and apparently they work really well for most people, but they made me MUCH worse and actually made me sick the whole day even though I took them off when I realized they were making me worse (by the way, it was just a test - I wasn't even in a car, just sitting around the house!).

Good luck! It's a HORRIBLE feeling, I know. I would do just about anything to be free of it, but at least the two remedies I mentioned have so far been pretty effective. I try to remind myself that no one ever died of motion sickness (maybe wished they had, though!)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

Naxos to Santorini can be done on a large ferry like the Bluestars no problem, out in the fresh air and land references, just avoid the small enclosed catamarans which are a nightmare in even moderately rough seas.

Paros/Naxos to Delos is a problem as the boats are small and the wind invariably kicks up on the way back. I won't travel on that one at all full stop. I've been Mykonos <> Delos which was bad enough, but from Naxos/Paros, just no way.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

RH - even those huge car ferries make me sick :( Oh well! Thanks for the tip about the Delos boat from Paros/Naxos, I was thinking about doing that this year, I guess I'll swim instead! ;)

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

OK - dramamine and ginger - stand on deck and watch the horizon - maybe a wrist band. It sounds like I'll be fine (as long as it isn't storming) on the Blue Star to Santorini. It's the excursion boat that worries me. I think I'll try the wrist band to start with - dramamine makes me too sleepy - but I'll have some along, just in case the band doesn't work.

Sometimes sucking on a peppermint candy makes me feel better. Maybe I'll just have my daughter whack me in the head and knock me out for half an hour or so and wake me up when we get there!

Ireland
Level Contributor
289 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

Hi, I too am a very bad boat traveller, and avoided using boat/ferries for many years. Last summer though, I plucked up the courage to get the ferry from Santorini to Naxos (and back), and I have to say even though I was desperately worried, I managed fine, and suffered no sickness what so ever.

I was given the name of an anti-sickness travel tablet, which I purchased in Santorini. I can't remember the name, but I can find out later for you.

Also, as was said earlier, stay up on deck in the fresh air. When we were in the waiting area, to dock, I just held my nose so I wouldn't be able to smell the diesel fumes (ha ha!!).

I wouldn't hesitate in using the ferries in Greece again (the large Bluestar ones, I wouldn't manage on a catamaran ;-).

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,682 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

From the web site for the Delos trip it looks like they have got a new ship this year - Nidri Star - which is bigger and with more facilities than before:

greeka.com/cyclades/…shedule.htm

The trip is just appr. 1 hr in sea - including a stop at Paros.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

"Bonine", widely available in the US works for me and everyone else I know who has tried it, I have never yet been sick since using it. I found out about it when I was on a scuba trip in Florida and the skipper gave it out free as he said he preferred the cost to cleaning up the mess :-)

There is a brand in Greece called 'emetostop' which contains the same active ingredient (and is much cheaper) should you run out or forget, as Bonine isn't available anywhere in Europe AFAIK.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

p.s I at least suffer no side effects with Bonine such as sleepiness etc.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

If sucking on peppermint candy helps, you might like to try Gin-Gins, a hard ginger candy marketed by GingerPeople: http://www.gingerpeople.com/. Gin-Gins Boost is touted as extra-strength, but they’re chewier than the regular Gin-Gins, which are a genuine hard candy. You might be able to pick some up at a local food co-op or health food store.

Susan

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone have any tips to avoid seasickness?

About sleepiness - the reason antihistamines make you sleep is it operates on the central nervous system, so you can expect sleepiness from all of them - if you don't get sleepy, you probably won't get relief. If Bonine doesn't make some sleepy, sounds like a miracle to me. But I haven't tried Bonine yet (they don't sell it here).

Dramamine makes me less sleepy than Benadryl because Dramamine has less medicine in a tablet.

But Dramamine is like 12 times the cost per dose.

I would much rather be sleepy than ... the alternative. So I suck it up and deal with the sleepiness. Try the wristbands before you leave home, in case you have a bad reaction like I did. If you need to rely on drugs, I can't imagine choosing alertness over being free of motion sickness (but of course I get it horribly) - you can ALWAYS fight off the drowsiness (coffee, throw some cold water on your face, will-power)... I would never ever risk motion sickness to avoid a little drowsiness, plus it's kind of a soothing drowsiness anyway LOL!

Ginger has no side effects and since it's a food, rather than an herb or drug, you can have as much as you want of it.