We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos to Athens to New York

nyc
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Naxos to Athens to New York

Hello,

I am wondering if it will be possible to leave Naxos on the 9am flight (arriving in Athens at 9:45am) and make our connecting flight on Delta leaving for NYC at 11:10am. I realize it is cutting it super close, but this seems to be the only way to maximize our time in Naxos and avoid spending money on a hotel for one night in Athens. What do all of you experts think? Is this an insane mission? I am eager for your input.....

Edited: 27 March 2010, 01:51
Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

It is an insane mission. To save €60 on a double room in Athens, you would jeopardize 2 tickets to NYC?? If you miss that flight it would cost you $1,000 one-way for each of you to get back to NY.

No need to, anyway... You can still maximize time in Naxos on that last day in another way. The daytime Blue Star ferry (9:45 am- 3pm) eats up the best part of a day... but you have another option that gives you the whole day before reluctantly leaving that Lovely isle.

Take the 6 pm BLue Star sailing that I call the "dinner ferry." Talk to your hotelier and get a late check-out for a few more €€ ... or if that doesn't work and you still have to vacate your room by noon, hoteliers will stash your luggage for a few hours and usually will happily let you use a bathroom in the late afternoon, to wash up and change. That way, you could still enjoy the beach until 4 pm, then put on your travelling duds, & get down to board the ferry at 6 PM. You can sit on deck for the sunset, have something to eat in the cafe, then go to an inside seat to read and snooze until landing at 11:30 pm. NOTE: u do not say what your dates are; if it's May or June and not a Sunday going back to Athens, then you can "poach" one of the unused inside "reserved" seats ... but if it's going to be a full ship, best to buy the "reserved economy" seat for €4 more than plain economy.

Arriving PIraeus, go downstairs first, and be at the front of the crowds when the ramp slams down and If you hustle, you can make the last Metro to Central Athens ... or else share a taxi with somone you meet on the boat, to cut costs. As far as hotel costs go, you can get a cheap room right off Syntagma Square at Hotel Metropolis, HOtel Pan or Hotel Akropolis Myrtos for €60 or so.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Central Athens Hotel
Central Athens Hotel
1,882 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Hotel Metropolis
Hotel Metropolis
636 Reviews
Athens, Greece
nyc
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

Very sage advice. I thank you for your thoughtful and clever suggestions. We are traveling in the end of May. Can't wait!!!!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

That's a good one "noodlekugel"...

If you like, to have a "heart beat" of about 180/200 b/m on your last day.. I would definitely try the option you suggested.. LOL!!!!

You can never be sure... there IS a flight at 9am... its still OA... :o)

I think Traveljan got a good suggestion here... and is well worth trying it.

She's right about that "Dinner ferry". You got beautiful sunset views, over the Mediterranean and the islands. And you don't have to worry about missing your flight to NYC AND you still got a nice sleep before you boarding your Delta flight!!!!

Enjoy your holiday. on Naxos.. it's getting closer every day... :o)

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

Hello,

It's not possible, full stop, on a 11:50 flight out of Athens.

Reading your previous posts suggests you have plenty of time on Naxos.

There are several ferries the day before you can take to Piraeus from 09:30 onwards, so no complications and a night in Athens.

An alternative in a more relaxed way is to take a ferry to Paros/Mykonos and from there to Rafina, which is nearer the airport stay there the night and then to the airport next morning.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

You are quite welcome, Noodlekugel!! I was a Manhattanite for 30 years (mainly Upper West Side), so I learned all about that super-fattening dish (as well as that heartburn special the potato knish). Dietary suicide! ... BTW, I'll be in Naxos myself May 21 through 24th, staying Ag. Giorgios --- will our paths cross??

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
nyc
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

Hey Travelerjan,

We won't be in Naxos until the 26th or 27th. We are headed to Milos first for 5 nights, then Sifnos for 3 and the Antiparos for 2 and finishing our journey in Naxos . We stayed in Naxos on our honeymoon last year at Plaka beach at the Medusa Hotel which i highly recommend. Sorry that we won't cross paths.

Again, thank you for the advice, i went ahead and booked tickets for the "dinner ferry" at your suggestion.

My screen name is in honor of my dog kugel, who can be sweet and savory, as well as a bit heavy on the heart at times. Safe travels and if our intinerary changes and we are in naxos earlier i will drop you a line.

Best,

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
Plaka Beach
Plaka Beach
877 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
nyc
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

Thanks flcrx for your reply. I did book the "dinner ferry".

8. Re: Naxos to Athens to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 06:18