We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from UK to Naxos

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from UK to Naxos

Hi everyone

Can anyone advise what is the easiest or cheapest way from the UK to Naxos?

I've been to Mykonos many times (love it) but have heard so many nice things about Naxos that i would be interested in spending some time there.

Would it be to fly into Mykonos (or Santorini) and then catch a ferry, or fly to Athens and catch a connecting flight?

The quickest option would also be good as I want to spend the least time travelling and the most time relaxing.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

We're planning on visiting Naxos in June and have booked flights to Mykonos because it's a Friday flight from Manchester which is more convenient for us. Last time I visited Naxos I flew into Santorini and I think the ferry connections are better than from Mykonos but the flights aren't as convenient. After been stuck in Piraeus for a night the first time I ever went island hopping on my own I now prefer to fly direct to an island and spend the last couple of nights there so I'm close by for the return flight.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

Use Easyjet to Santorini. The plane lands at 12.15 or at 14.00. Every day you can take the Blue Star ferry to Naxos at 4 PM (about 2 hours, about 15 EUR).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

Or Easyjet to Mykonos.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

Naxos is on the same main ferry route as Santorini, so easyJet flights to there offer better connections than flights to Mykonos.

My favourite route is an overnight flight from Heathrow to Athens, then the 0725 Blue Star or an Olympic flight to the island. There are several reasons I prefer this route: flights leave 7 days/week, and there is a choice between BA, Olympic Air, or Aegean Airlines; I can leave for the airport right after work, and be on the island the next morning; there is no early morning rush to the airport for a 7am easyJet flight; you get a full service airline, and can choose your seat during online check-in.

Whichever route you choose, you will have to spend your last night at Mykonos, Santorini, or Athens, so perhaps that will be a deciding factor.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

The problem with flying easyJet to Mykonos is that the flight arrives too late to connect with a scheduled ferry service to Naxos. HOwever if you travel on a Friday it is apparently possible to travel on the Naxos Star. This is a tour boat that is also used for transfers by the tour companies. There is no way of booking it or buying a ticket. Apparently you just pay on board.

Ferry connections are better from Santorini.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

Farmerdj,

My posting crossed with Heimdall. Also, I have just realised you are in London. I had seen Manchester mentioned by one poster and was thinking (wrongly) that you were asking about flying from Manchester. From London, take Heimdall's advice.

GreecemadUK

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

Hi,

The easiest is to take a flight Gatwick <> Santorini. Most charters and Easyjet flights enable same day ferry connection to Naxos (15:30). It's one night on Santorini on way back anyway. This I would definately consider the most pleasant, relaxing and most efficient use of time.

The other two possibilities are Mykonos/Athens. The first can be awkward depending on day for a same day connection, solved by a night on Mykonos both ways.

Athens may not be too bad if you don't mind choosing flights suitable for ferry timings, I find it dull simply because it's been so many times crashed out on Athens airport floor.

With varying airfares, who can say which is the cheapest for total travel cost.....

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

I was hoping Retired_Hippy would come back with his equally valid point of view. There is nothing wrong with the easyJet flights, and as he wrote, Santorini would be preferable to Mykonos. One of the reasons I prefer Heathrow to Gatwick is personal: from Suffolk, Heathrow is the easier to reach. For me an easyJet flight from Gatwick would mean either a very early start, or a night in an airport hotel. For you, living in London, Gatwick may be just as convenient.

The 10pm flights from London arrive in Athens around 4am. By the time I clear passport control and pick up my bags it's about 4:30. That leaves me just enough time to draw out some € at an ATM, buy a ferry ticket at Amphitrion Holidays, have a cup of coffee, and board the X96 bus to Piraeus for the 0725 ferry. There is very little layover at the airport.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

R_H, if you don't mind my asking, how do you get from Birmingham to Gatwick?

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,664 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way from UK to Naxos

Sorry I probably confused things by mentioning Manchester as that's where i'm flying from.

I know it's probably too early yet but if anybody has any info on the Naxos Star it would be much appreciated as if possible we'd like to go straight to Naxos when we arrive in Mykonos on the Friday afternoon. I've googled it but can't find any info.

Get answers to your questions about Naxos