We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

Arctic Norway/London
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

Hi,

I´m heading to Naxos for 10 days in July so my boyfriend can get his fix of windsurfing :)

I´m not much of a water-sports junkie and I was therefore wondering if anyone had a few tips on fun things I can do on my own in the daytime.

I don´t mind lazying on the beach for a few days, but I need to do something active too to justify the amazing greek feasts in the evening :)

THanks!

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,669 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

What activities appeal to you the most ?

Naxos Town has an interesting Old Town to explore:

http://tinyurl.com/bnjn6g

and the town also has options for shopping and strolling:

http://tinyurl.com/dykxxw

You can also go on an organised trip around the island:

http://tinyurl.com/dh9mkh

However, if you give us a clue on what you prefer, we will be able to offer you some more specific advices.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Arctic Norway/London
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

Looks great - thanks!

I am pretty sporty, so wouldn't mind breaking a sweat doing something active..

Is the hike up Mt Zeus something you can do with just trainers and a bottle of water?

And are there particular villages or beaches I should head for? And could I hike to many of them or would I have to get a bus or hire a car?

I like history and old stuff to so the old town would probably be good. But I really like exploring on my own, and my favourite thing on holiday is a long early morning or late afternoon run to see the nearby areas..so any tips on that would be great.

I've recently bought a Canon 50d camera which I would love to test out on some greek scenery too.

Arctic Norway/London
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

You have most definitely taken some great photos!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

It takes about 1/2 h to get to the cave below Mt. Zeus. You start at a very nice fresh water spring. Then you follow some stairs and in the end the path becomes a little more complicated - but the usual sport shoes will be OK. I did it last year in my TeVa sandals. There's also some fresh water in front of the cave. To be able to see the cave you will need a torch or something similar.

Rent a car for a few days and see the kouroses at Melanes and Demeter's temple near Sagri.

Naxos is fantastic - almost every part inside the island is worth a photography.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

There is a book available at Zoom bookstore at harborside, I think, called Naxos Walks., but there are also several websites you can print out ... my favorite is by an obsessive-compulsive belgian who has devoted his life to doing & photographing hikes in the Cyclades. Here is his Naxos list: http://www.cycladen.be/NaxosEng.htm -- they are VERY detailed (i.e., climb over wire fence turn right for 4 meters etc).

It will be hot in July, so suggest choosing walks that take you through shady lanes. A good idea is to take an early bus to the walking site, then afterwards, flag down a bus bound back for Naxos Town. The Bus Schedules are posted at the Bus office by the Naxos Dock.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,301 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

Exploring Naxos town will give you a several hours of enjoyment and ample opportunity to use that camera. See if you can find the bakery in the old market. Just follow your nose. This bread is addictive

Here are some pictures of town.

travel.webshots.com/album/577950188puzxSj

Also see if you can find this store which sells Naxian products. It is just up from the waterfront on the way to the central square. you can spend an hour here just sniffing and sampling a bit of cheese.

travel.webshots.com/album/577972190JVkqlo

Rent a car and do a mountain village tour. Stop in some of the villages and wander around. You will remember those stops for a long time. Most are on the side of a mountain and the walking will earn you your dinner.

Here are some pictures of a recent day trip we took around the island

travel.webshots.com/album/577950188puzxSj

Lastly the beaches on the west coast go on for several kilometers. You can do a lazy beach day and long walks all at the same time.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,669 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

It is also possible like you ask to hike to the summit of Mt. Zas - take a couple of small bottles of water - hike appr. 2 hrs. It is easiest accessible by a small church on the road between Filoti and Danakos.

This site may also be useful for you:

http://www.islandwalking.com/naxos.html

Ottawa
Level Contributor
963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

If you like history, you should consider a day trip to Delos. There is very little shade on the island, though, so be prepared with sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water.

Arctic Norway/London
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

Thanks for all the great trip suggestions! Can´t wait to get there now :)

10. Re: Things to do whilst boyfriend windsurfs..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:17