We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good idea, or bad idea?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Good idea, or bad idea?

We are going to be in Santorini in April. We'll be flying there and would like to return via a ferry. Looking at Blue Star timetables, I'm thinking of departing Santorini at 15:30, arriving in Naxos at 18:00 and then departing Naxos the next day at 9:30 to arrive into Piraeus at 15:00.

So, basically, we would just have one night in Naxos. If we take the ferry directly to Athens, it looks like we would arrive almost midnight so I thought stopping in Naxos might be the way to go.

Thoughts? Good idea? We would probably want to stay near the port in Naxos. Any suggestions for places to stay? We are trying not to spend more than 50 euro for a double.

Thanks!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

To be honest, much as I love Naxos, I'm not sure I'd bother stopping over for one evening. It's not a good use of time as you'll have to double up on packing and hanging around in the ports so why bother? If you were thinking of 3 or 4 days in Naxos, you'd get a different answer.

Depending on the day you travel, there may be a ferry from Santorini around 8am. The schedules are showing some departures which haven't been approved yet but it's almost certain that they will be.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

Hmmm... it depends on a couple of things:

When in April? (due to weather and proximity to Easter)

What are your plans once you arrive in Pireaus? Do you have a flight to catch?

Is the 9:30 AM ferry also a Blue Star?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

To answer your questions:

We'll be traveling the Thursday before Easter from Santorini. And we want to arrive in Athens for a four-day stay on the Friday before Easter.

I was only looking at Blue Star since they seem to have the best website and I'm not that familiar with the other options. We were thinking of traveling in business class.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

Business class on Blue Star is *seriously* nice, if you can afford it, although it may not be worth it on the shorter leg of the journey from Santorini to Naxos, when you might like to spend the first 30-40 mins on the deck anyway, taking photos of the caldera etc. The deck is at the back, towards economy class.

Philhellene is right in saying that a night on Naxos will mean extra packing/unpacking, and there is a chance you may end up doing "Naxos by night" if the ferry is late departing Santorini as they sometimes are. I'd personally go for it, because I'd rather see a place for 12 hours than not at all, but I know this isn't everyone's travelling style.

If you have more than 3 nights in Santorini, it may be worth swapping your departure date so that you have an extra day in Naxos.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,334 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

Here is to give you an idea of what Blue Star ferries are like:

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

If you decide to stay for one night in Naxos the hotel Coronis is on the waterfront and close to the port:

http://tinyurl.com/5ssdmeq

However, you must take into consideration that you will go there at a time when most Greeks are coming to visit their families for the Easter celebrations, and the hotels which are open at this time of year will most probably be packed by visitors.

You will hardly get time for anything than to stroll around town, and here is to give you an idea of what it is like:

http://tinyurl.com/dykxxw

You can also walk the Old Town, but most tavernas etc. there will not open until the start of the regular season (mid May):

http://tinyurl.com/bnjn6g

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

Well, maybe a good idea, maybe not. Instead of arriving Piraeus at midnight, you would arrive at 3pm the next day. You won't have time to do much of anything on Naxos other than check into your hotel and look for a place for dinner. Personally I don't like the idea of arriving Piraeus at midnight either — by then I am usually tucked into bed. Why not take an afternoon flight from Santorini to Athens?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

I'm still not sure what we'll do. I was hoping not to fly because we are already flying so much on this trip. (SFO-LHR-IST-NAV-IST-ATH-JTR-ATH-LHR-SFO)

I found another possible ferry leaving Santorini at 00:40 arriving into Athens at 05:40 but it looks like there's no business class so we might spring for a cabin.

Do you know if there's a place to store luggage at the port in Thira? We'll have just 2 small bags, but it would be a long day to have to have the bags with us until 00:40 in the morning. We're staying in Oia while we're on Santorini so would spend the day in Thira before we depart.

Lots to consider.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

Hey sealonsf:-) Your hotel in Oia will most likely be glad to hold onto your bags..they're used to such requests with folks coming/going at all hours w/the ferry/flight schedules..same with cafes wherever on the isle..if you patronize them w/a coffee or something..most will find a corner to put them for a while as you meandor about..and if do opt for that late ferry departure, may as well get a sleeper cabin and experience that as well..after all it's your honeymoon..and certainly an active one;-)

Bottom line, you have to also consider how much time you'll have in Athens to see the sites/museums, etc..Since it's Easter weekend, most everything (except cafes, tavernas, touristy stuff) will be closed on Sunday..and some on Monday other than the museums that are normally closed on that day! Personally, I think overnighting on an isle is not a bad idea..seeing how you are coming a huge distance..but it's really up to you guys..you're doing allot of traveling it appears..so if you feel it'll fit your 'style', why not?! If this is all the time you'll be having in Athens and have some set priorities on things to see/do there, would deep 6 the isle overnight idea and just head back to the mainland..and EnjoY!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

May I ask why arriving midnight on Piraeus doesn't appeal to you? Is this because of the time of arrival, the place of arrival at that time, or what? For me, it's not such a big deal to arrive in Piraeus midnight, get metro or taxi to Athens center, get some sleep and have a fresh start next morning and a full day. That's just me of course!

And I want to add that Piraeus port area is not very attractive, and may seem somehow scary at night, but it is perfectly safe (if you use common sense of course). I am a woman and I've walk at this area every time of night or day without feeling unsafe or something. Then I am a very self-confident person, I consider my self street-wise and and rarely scared... Depends where are you coming from I guess....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good idea, or bad idea?

May I ask why arriving midnight on Piraeus doesn't appeal to you?

Mostly because we are renting an apartment in Athens and someone will have to meet with us to give us a key. By the time we manage to find the apartment it would be quite late/early in the morning and I wouldn't want to make someone wait up for us like that.

Anyway, thanks to everyone's help, I continued to look for ferries and found one that I think I'd be quite happy with - Super Jet with Sea Jets. Leaves Thira at 10:05 and get to Piraeus at 13:50. That would be perfect, so we'll just spend 5 nights in Athens instead of 4.

Do you think we should book the ferry now? Anyone have experience with Sea Jets?

Thanks again! Naxos will have to wait until our next trip.