We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Star Delos

Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Star Delos

Anyone know any news about when this boat is due to be in service? I am guessing now that it won't be appearing this year.

I was looking forward to seeing this boat this year, but from what I can see it was out in the Far East on sea trials (its on marinetraffic.com as BLUE START DELOS) but I have not seen it there recently.

From what I see it looks fairly impressive - 2400 passengers compared to the BS Paros/Naxos 1500. I guess that this will replace either the BS Paros or Naxos on the Pireaus->Paros->Naxos->Thira run, so does this mean that the spare Blue Star may end up on another route (Milos perhaps?) or provide addition services to Paros/Naxos/Thira?

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Star Delos

According to this web site http://tinyurl.com/4xy7wym it will go into traffic on september 10. Looking forward to see her next spring.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Star Delos

According to GTP, BS Paros is taking over the Mykonos service from BS Ithaki from October 4th - presumably BS Ithaki will eventually move to another route.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 16:51
Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Star Delos

Many thanks for the links and info.

I note that the spec of it has it 20m longer and 3 metres wider than the Paros/Naxos, but with 900 extra passengers capacity hopefully they have made good use of the space to accomodate these extra numbers. The speed from the trials seems to be slightly slower than the Paros/Naxos but I guess that's the nature of sea trials. The Blue Star website says it will do 26 kts which is slightly faster than the Paros/Naxos so that could take nearly 30 minutes of the Piraeus->Naxos trip if I have my calculations right.

This is the link on the tracking website, with a few photos if anyone is interested.

www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx…

I had a good click around openseas to see if there were any significant changes to Paros/Naxos/Ithaki routes but was not able to see anything.

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Star Delos

It looks like Blue Star Delos did another sea trial today (25th). If it's still in the South Korea shipyard, it's increasingly unlikely it will start service in Greece by 10th Sep:

www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx…

Mentioned in this post
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Star Delos

Blue Star Delos is now at Piraeus and did a trial run today. On the Open Seas website, it does not say which Blue Star vessel will be going to Santorini tomorrow, so it may be making its maiden voyage. However, because of the weather nothing is moving at the moment and it's forecast to be worse tomorrow.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Star Delos

On one of the photos I've seen it looks to be higher than Paros/Naxos/Ithaki so it probably has extra deck(s)

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Star Delos

BS Delos was supposed to make a port visit at Paros today from 1030 -1200, and at Naxos from 1330-1500, but it was cancelled due to the weather. It should be running on the Piraeus - Santorini route soon.

www.bluestarferries.com/site/content.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Star Delos

Currently at Paros on its maiden voyage

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Star Delos

Thanks all for the updates - been "watching" it on marine traffic today.

It has done Pireaus->Paros->Naxos->Ios(!!!!)->Santorini, and as I type appears to be on its way out of Thira again presumably visiting the above ports in reverse order - I guess it might skip Ios on the way back?

I love Ios and have been annoyed in recent years at it becomes ever-increasingly ignored by many operators. It the fact that it (and the BS Naxos last Friday) stopped there some kind of winter schedule?

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
10. Re: Blue Star Delos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 10:23