We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Naxos from Crete?

UK
Level Contributor
783 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Would very much like to go to Naxos next year. The Thomson direct flight is on a Tuesday and for various reasons it doesn't suit the way my annual leave falls for June next year. Also as I am a solo woman traveler I am not keen on doing the Athens route by myself and getting ferry from there....all a bit daunting!

I wondered what other islands can we fly direct from the UK and get a ferry to Naxos? Mykynos? Or Crete would be good as more flexible flight days from the UK to Hereklion.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Hellenic Seaways operate a Flying Cat out of Heraklion. 09.45hr (2011). to Santorini (and other Cyclades islands). I think you would then have to get a Blue Star ferry linking to Naxos. Other posters may well be aware of other ferries.

I am also considering following a similar route next September.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

In June you will find connections to Naxos from Santorini (daily, all year around route), Mykonos (maybe with a link via Paros) and Athens.

From Crete you will have to go via Santorini.

UK
Level Contributor
783 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Thank you for that. So it is possible!!

Will have a look at the Mykonos flights, I presume this would mean a stay in Myknonos at least one end of the holiday? Same for Crete I presume?

Anyone have any idea of the prices roughly? Is it quite easy/ stress free!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,840 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Hi,

Why not use Easyjet to Santorini they go different days of the week.

Other than that, Mykonos or Athens are your next best choices. Heraklion is slightly awkward as you will have to change ferries on Santorini or Paros to get to Naxos.

In most cases you will need to stay one night on the airport island going and coming back. e.g. Santorini you can get a same day connection to Naxos at 16:00, but on the way back you will need a night on Santorini due to ferry timings.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

If you should choose Athens there is also the possibilty to link to a flight to Naxos - not needing to go into the city, as you will be in the airport for a transfer.

Flight time is only appr. 35 mins.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 18:26
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Just to clarify in case others are disappointed...

Thomson does not do flights direct to Naxos (the only flights are from Athens because the airstrip is, well, an airstrip), and also perhaps more importantly, they do not appear to be offering any holidays there either.

As part of my 'research' I had a sneeky peek at the price of a flight only from Manchester to Santorini (the destination I guess the OP was referring to) on 12th June - almost £400 incl luggage - OUCH!

Edited: 18 November 2011, 19:39
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

should have said that was for a return flight lol!

...and it did include 20kg luggage!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Where are you flying from in the UK, and what day(s) would you prefer to travel on? The suggestion of easyjet to Santorini is a good one. There are Thomson flights from Manchester to Mykonos on Fridays so I presume there's one from Gatwick as well. It all depends on what the connections are like and what the prices are.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,410 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

We went to Naxos last June (2010) and flew into Mykonos, mainly because the Friday flight was more convenient for us. However we had to spend the first night on Mykonos and travel to Naxos via Paros the following day. It cost 22 euros each for the Seajet2 from Mykonos to Paros and another 7.5 euros for the Blue Star ferry to Naxos. I'm not saying it will necessarily be the same for next year but it's something to bear in mind if you are thinking of flying into Mykonos.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Naxos from Crete?

Olympic Holidays do packaged holidays to Naxos-very limited with little choice-They DO NOT fly direct to Naxos(the airport only suitable for small planes)…to Santorini with ferry I believe.

We stayed for two weeks on Naxos in September and thinking of staying for three weeks May/June next year -we didn’t fancy doing the ferry (good job-the day we travelled home it was a strike!) trip -so we flew London H to Athens and then onto Naxos with Olympic air-a little more expensive but IMO worth it.-will be doing the same….checking prices now big variation on dates you travel.