We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Thinking of heading to Naxos in September (middle 2 weeks) and fancy staying in Plaka however I've just read a post about people hassling tourists on the beach trying to sell sunglasses and massages etc. Can you tell me if this is the case? I want a quiet relaxing holiday on a nice beach and I'm starting to think Naxos may not be the place!

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

I've used Plaka beach more times than I can remember and recall only once being invited to buy sponges by some old guy. Mid-September, most people will have gone home so the beach will be pretty quiet anyway and Plaka beach is several miles long. Personally, I can't think of a better island to spend a couple of weeks thatr time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Plaka Beach
Plaka Beach
879 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Naxos is an excellent choice for a quiet relaxing holiday and has some of the best beaches in the whole of Greece...

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

A small price to pay for paradise me thinks! There last September and it's true there are a few guys and girls selling thier wears but they aren't a problem, the opposite in fact, had a lovely 30min massage with a thai girl for 20 euros....a simple no thank you will suffice. Going back in June for 3 weeks and will be looking forward to my 5pm sess:-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Miles, we probably had massages from the same girl (and her brother). They were the only ones who approached us during our idyllic 3 days on Plaka beach in mid/late September. We enjoyed our time so much on the beautifully sandy beaches and clear waters of Plaka that we are returning to Naxos for 10 days in September. It was total relaxation and serenity.

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Plaka Beach
Plaka Beach
879 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

I wouldn't say they hassle you, if you ignore them they move right along. And I don't remember too many of them at Plaka- mostly at St George.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

While we have visited in June not September I think the experience will essentially be the same. I recall one person walking the beach with wares for sale and he only stopped if you waived him over. There were two gilrls offering massages and they only stopped if you called them over. Certainly there was no interaction that could possibly be described as being hassled.

Plaka beach is several kilometers long and you can certainly find a place where you can relax in peace. Here are our pictures of Plaka beach area. You can see that in the shoulder season you pretty much have the beach to yourselves.

travel.webshots.com/album/577941251SkgZfC

Mentioned in this post
Plaka Beach
Plaka Beach
879 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Thanks everyone for the replies and photos, will go ahead and book my accommodation in Plaka!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Jo, same Island, same hotel, same room and now the same masseur...spooky :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

Miles, I know.......I feel like I was stalking you without even knowing it, lol

Jo

10. Re: Plaka beach relaxing or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 21:34