We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

We are a young couple (35) looking for a relaxed vacation. We are debating about staying at Plaka or Agia Ana. While Plaka seems to be very relaxing, we are concerned on not having options at night for a dinner and being forced to stay at the hotel (we are considering Medusa Resort, is it a good choice? Sea views are important to us). Agia Ana seems to have more options from that perspective but looks much more turistic and less relaxing (we are considering Iria beach art hotel).

Suggestions are more than welcome!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

Medusa Resort is far away from the ordinary Plaka area, and I will describe it as in the middle of nowhere. There is a narrow dust road which runs from Plaka to Orkos and Mikri Vigla beaches. You can see the sign here:

http://tinyurl.com/68jl3c7

It gets good reviews, though - but you will not be within walking distance for tavernas etc.

When are you coming ? This is important regarding how busy it will be around.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 18:13
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

We had the same dilemma.... Agia Anna or Plaka....we chose AA for the more central location to Plaka and Agia Prokopis......I did lots of research beforehand and booked our 18 days (here now) on Naxos back in January....we have lucked out....great rate 20€ a day all facilities..fantastic sea view with large balcony( just watching Blue star Paros sail by). Most importantly the best Wi FI on Naxos ..super fast;-)....perhaps the only downside for some would be the 5 minutes walk from town up a slight hill...but it's perfect for us.

I wouldn't rule Plaka out....some lovely accommodations near the Paradisus Taverna....which is only a five minute stroll into AA along the boardwalk with some of the best beaches in Greece in front of you.

The link GT gave ....one of the photos is the Paradisus Taverna

Edited: 23 June 2012, 07:05
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

Not sure if I've misunderstood but are you only paying 20 euro a day for your accommodation miles? That seems very cheap. Last time I was on Naxos, 2 years ago, we were paying 35 euros a night.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

Reporting from Apollon ...Wi FI everywhere lol

Yes Gemma 20€ per night for two of us.360€ total ...picked up at the port by the owner(so nice) one day she brought us cucumbers and courgettes from her farm in the hills, another day apricots and plums.....yesterday home made wine(puts hairs on your chest;-) she's invited us to a party on Agia Prop beach with bonfire tonight.....just can't do enough for us........we are staying for 18 nights hence the good rate ....still only 25€ .....some of the rooms differ, thankfully she offered to save the best for us........sooooo lucky to find this.....oh and she hasn't asked for a penny yet.....that reminds me I should pay her.

Edited: 23 June 2012, 10:01
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

PS.....at the port other rooms where being offered for 20-30 €

Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

The restaurants around the Plaza beach hotel area seem to be suffering a bit from low tourist numbers at the moment as a lot of folks seem to be in town at night. We cant speak for AA ad we only visited it during the day but we got the impression that it would be a nice chilled out place to eat at night and the quiet beach away from the beach bars is excellent. First time for us on Naxos and we really enjoyed it and the town itself is fantastic. We have just arrived on Koufonnisia and its wonderful but as Miles pointed out about Naxos there are plenty of rooms available at dirt cheap prices over here also

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

You did not state your budget but consider hotel kavos. Fab location and good food. AA 10 min walk. You will not be disapointed!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

I think Agia Anna offers a good compromise: smack between two great beaches (Plaka and Agios Prokopios), better choice of tavernas than around Medusa, and a 15 minute bus ride into town (where you will probably want to spend some of your evenings). :o)

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

Sounds like you got a bargain miles, especially when it includes wifi ;-). Shame I can't fit in another trip to Greece this year as it sounds like there are some bargain prices for accommodation at the moment.

Gerrards Cross...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Naxos accomodation: Plaka or Aghia Ana

where are you staying? we are looking for accommodation in naxos and the place that you are staying in sounds ideal!