We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back - Beware Piraeus

Ayrshire,Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back - Beware Piraeus

Just arrived back from a wonderful holiday in Naxos but would like to give cautionary tale.

Arrived from Heathrow 02.30 spent spent couple of hours in airport then took bus to Piraeus (5 euro).

Bought tickets and made way to ferry when my backpack was stolen with our passports my credit cards,mobile,camera,travel documents etc.

In panic went to police whose attitude was shocking- "what do you want me to do?"

Eventually got police report and luckily my wife had cards in separate bag.Bought new tickets and boarded ship and decided there and then that ok it has happened let us try to forget it and enjoy our holiday.(didn't seem possible)

On arrival in Naxos what a difference -people could not do enough for us to try and help offering to make phone calls send emails and access the internet.

The magic of Naxos seemed to take over and believe it or not we immediately relaxed and had a wonderful holiday.

We stayed in Agia Anna at the Hotel Annemomilos which was really nice.

We took day trips to both Mykonos and Santorini on the Alexander and enjoyed the experience but give me Naxos any time.

Finally I would like to thank all you regular contributors to this Forum for your fantastic help and advice which you so readilly give and which helped us decide to come to this wonderful island.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

Hi Craiglee,

So sorry to hear about the incident in Piraeus.

However, it seems you had a wonderful time in Naxos. Thanks for coming back to us, and thanks for sharing !

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

I strongly believe that when posting on a public forum that thousand of people might read, we have to be very casreful on what we say and how we phrase it.

A title urging people to "be aware of Piraeus" an urban area that covers about 50.417 km2 (19 sq miles) and where abut half million people live, is unfair to say the list, as it is to judge people of a whole area just by one single incident.

3. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 12:06
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

I do not see how I rubbish a post.

The title of this post rubbish a whole city!

And I am not sure what you mean on my last repplies.

A guestimate is you refer on the weddding plannning posts. TA created a specific section on wedding threads section in order to avoid spamming destination forums with irrelevanrt threads.

You can not blaming me for moderating the forums when you try to moderate me!

I never claimed everything is perfect in Greece, I don't get wgy you think I do.. This doesn't mean you can generalise a bad point and act the other way around, rubbishing a whole area or country.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 11:34
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

Mariha

"Beware Piraeus" may be a bit strong but If people read the content of the post instead of just the title they will appreciate that Craiglee is merely highlighting a problem he unfortunately encountered and which will hopefully be a lesson for others to take care of their belongings (in fact he says its a cautionary tale) He certainly isnt judging the people of Piraeus by this and I bet he like millions of others are happy to travel via Piraeus in the future to Naxos and other areas of your fantastic country

BTW..I cant wait to visit Delphi it looks stunning

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

I do not think my post was an accusation on the OP. I just said that how to word something might have as much impact as the content of the text itsself. I was not expeting to have such accusation by bobinlondon who haven't contributed in the post anyway... But of course it is an open forum and we all say our opinions.

Each to their own I guess.....

Ayrshire,Scotland
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

As moneyash says Beware Piraeus is maybe a bit strong.

I was only trying to say to be aware as you would in any big city so that the same would not happen to anyone else.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

IMO The title of the post highlights an issue which travellers need to be aware of, and is perfectly valid. Recently there have been others of a similar nature, such as pickpocketing in athens, which again highlight travellers to be more aware of security. Surely this is part of the remit for TA forums - to advise potential travellers of potential pitfalls of their chosen destinations, as well as all the good things.

Incidentally, while I too have no interest in the wedding threads, this is also part of travel planning and so IMO it is just as relevant to ask for recommended venues, planners etc. as it is to recommend restaurants and tavernas. I notice that some of them have now been closed, which is a pity because they do contain some cautionary information which potential brides and grooms would find useful.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

steve I explained my view on the Piraeus issue. Although we'll get of topic , about the weeding issues, of course I understand that some people are interested on that one. But many people are not, TA established a specific section for this kind of info, as it has established specific sections for issues that are not directly connected with a destination eg Business Travelers, Air Travel and so on . I think members should be directed there, that's all. And on my opinion, it is different to recommend a tavern, wedding planner etc and provide some pointers, than having an extended conversation about a specific venue or business. I do not think a chit chat for an incident between a taverna owner and an unhappy guest would be allowed in the forums either, so I do not see why wedding planner and bride debate should be treated different.

Just my opinion, and I am not afraid to post it.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back - Beware Piraeus

Hi Craiglee,

So sorry to hear about the problem in Piraeus. We witnessed a similar there comming of the ferry from Naxos a couple of years ago. As a regular traveller to Naxos I have often wondered what is needed if your passport is stolen . Presumably this means a day in Athens to get temporary documents for the flight home, or is this facility available nearer to Naxos?