We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking at Plaka

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car parking at Plaka

We intend to hire a car in order to visit a village or 2 as well as using the car to drive to the beaches. We are staying at Hotel Spiros; the owner said he would arrange hire.

I have to confess we are both hopeless at finding compass points, knowing when to go left or...right and maps are things of torture for me.....I thought day one to test our skills we would go to the closest beach -Plaka -other than St. George......

Question: How easy is to lose our way? Any tips?

Is there a spot we can park the car?

Cheers!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking at Plaka

Just head towards the aiport. Spiros is very close to theirport road and they can point you in the right direction. Thereis a big wide sweeping right hand curve in the road at Naxos camping and then just past the airport take the first left. Just keep on that road until you hit Aggia Procopious which is a tee intersection.Turn left there and stay on that road. it will eventulaly trun into a very good dirt road. Keep on going until you hit a dead end and everything you have been driving past on the dirt road is Plaka.

There is lots of parking just look for where the other cars are parked.

Have fun and remember getting lost is part of the fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking at Plaka

Thank you Stanbr!

I will post a trip report on my return. I have just read Gracie's trip report. I have tears running down my cheeks! It's good to know others are completely clueless with directions.

I agree though sometimes the best sights and experiences are those you don't necessarily mean to do or see.

However....

I am determined now to master the map or at least jot down your instructions.

I have had a great time reading your advice, GT's advice and all the experts.

Not that many sleeps to go!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking at Plaka

When driving in the Plaka area there is a lot of small dirt roads behind the beach area. These dirt roads are narrow and often in a bad condition. However, if you get lost in any of them, follow the wheel tracks. To avoid these small roads, always keep on the road along the sea.

By the way, Naxos have a very good public bus service, so why risk to get lost, even driving at the "wrong side" of the road. From Naxos town to Plaka and all the beaches between, there is a bus every half hour. Also lot of buses to the villages. Summer time tables: naxosdestinations.com/images/…deseng.pdf

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking at Plaka

You have been given good advice for the directions. The choices are not many, and you should be fine finding Plaka.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking at Plaka

Thank you all.

Periscope I always have high hopes that we will be able to 'see that little bit more' than a bus allows. I have travelled a lot and always find the unexpected is the most treasured. Not a flat tyre. Just the unexpected. It could be a view, great food, warm people .

My DH who trusts me ( my happy aunt) is lithe, fleet of foot and twenty years younger, ...great driver dud with a map. He is also a motor mechanic. Loves the beach.

We'll be ok.

GtT I think I have read all your posts. I will immediately message you....if I get lost!

What a fantastic resource TA is!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking at Plaka

I wasn't thinking when I posted. Here are some images of Plaika area including a number of hotels tavernas and of course the road and the beach. At least you will recognize it when you get there.

travel.webshots.com/album/577941251SkgZfC

Edited: 04 July 2012, 14:25
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking at Plaka

The problem will be parking at Spiros (it was for us and we only had a car for one day last sept.) very narrow streets, especially if you’re in the annexe…..might be better parking a few blocks away. Getting to the main road (near Police station) it’s a one way system, be careful not well signposted.

Stan gave good directions but, not the best or easiest (sorry stan)…………..I know, we walked this route twice last week lol…..Go the same way until ” sweeping right hand curve in the road” at Naxos camping…instead going down the curve….carry on and head towards the airport….the road fillers to the airport (don’t go down that) keep on the road, follow this until a junction (about 2k) then turn right…this road takes you down to Agia Anna and then onto Plaka.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 15:15
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking at Plaka

I know this way as well - I have been walking it many times to Agia Anna and Plaka from Ammos Studios (next to Naxos Camping when you enter the road for the airport).

However, I will go with Stanbr's recommendation to learn where the closer areas around town (like Stelida, Agios Prokopios) are located, and I don't find it any longer than the other option. It is this route that will be commonly used for references if they should lose their direction.

Many thanks for your kind words, Fenguin - and give me a calkl if you are lost !

:0)

Edited: 04 July 2012, 18:53
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking at Plaka

hired a car for a few days , one morning I drove to the bakery near the supermarket in town...I went the way I suggested and returned the way Stan suggested....no doubt Stan's way (bus route) is more interesting, passing the sea front at AP...take my word GT its longer, I clocked it;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parking at Plaka

Miles and Stan We will go both ways. Possibly muddle them up but will still enjoy!

Stan thanks for the pics. I recognize the Paradiso from Joden's blog. Have you eaten there?

GT we are hoping to eat at The Mermaid. Love your picture. I am salivating now! I am assuming it is before Plaka. We will be in Naxos in August so I hope we can find somewhere to park.

Miles my DH prides himself on his patience and fearless many point turns. I will tell him to expect some sticky moments when we come and go at Spiros. I will wait on the footpath and try not to give advice.

Thanks for all the help. Will be back with more questions!