We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth stopping by?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth stopping by?

Is Naxos a nice island? Is it safe, reliable and not cheapy? Is it one of those islands where none of the hotels have air-conditionning and are really messy? I would like to know because on our trip to Greece, we will go to Santorini and Mykonos but in between the two we would like to go on an island that isn't as busy but that isn't deserted either. We would like to just walk through the narrow streets of the village, go to some nice beaches and some nice tavernas too. We basically just want an island that is nice, clean, has nice hotels and where we can just relax and enjoy Cycladic life. Is Naxos good for this? Are there any better ones on the way to Mykonos besides Santorini?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

Hey again Carolyn D:-) Just to note, Santorini and Mykonos are 2 of THE most popular isles in Greece usually mobbed in Season! Naxos is definitely a contrast and will provide a more mellow experience.. depending on when you're traveling-) Don't know what you mean by 'cheapy'.. but the properties on isles in general are immaculate.. and yes, you will most certianly find air-conditiong;-) Happy planning.. and EnjOY!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

Naxos is a wonderful island that is most definitely worth visiting between Santorini and Mykonos. Here's a link to online photos that will give you an idea of just a few things you could see there: travel.webshots.com/album/570281682XPNcDM…

Not sure what you mean by "messy" and "cheapy" -- I've been to lots of islands, but haven't yet seen one I'd describe in that way.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

So far Naxos is my favorite island in Greece. And I agree with Donny- not seen cheap/messy yet in Greece.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

In your post where you listed your wants you basically described Naxos. It is a perfect companion island to Santorini as it is far less expensive and the Greeks you meet on Naxos live there all year round. It has that lovely old town area to dine shop and explore with a waterfront promenade and an old market area leading up to the Kastro area of town. It has great beaches and mountain villages where time is standing still. I suspect after your trip you will reflect on it and wish you had stayed longer on Naxos.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

We loved Naxos, it is a lovely Island. We would go back again and have done once. It is great for Ferry connections too.We liked it much better than Santorini where we would never go back to.

It really is worth a trip yes.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

>"We would like to just walk through the narrow streets of the village, go to some nice beaches and some nice tavernas too. We basically just want an island that is nice, clean, has nice hotels and where we can just relax and enjoy Cycladic life"< This is exactly what you will find in Naxos.

Mykonos and Santorini are tourist islands where you will find all the other "American tourists", and pay a higher price for less service.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

Here is to give you some ideas:

http://www.naxos.gr/index.php?&sl=EN

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

I know GT sent you some links but here is one of our albumns of images of Naxos. You can see why it ticks all your boxes.

travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth stopping by?

I am writing this post from my beautifull room in Naxos!

I was in Santorini for 4 nights before that, nice but expensive and very crowded when compared to Naxos!

Visited quickly the old town and very nice. Hope to find a nice mountain village tomorrow to visit using local bus service! Any suggestion ?

Next stop will be Mykonos!