We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deposit for reservation of lodging

NY
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Deposit for reservation of lodging

We ended up choosing an apartment at Stella Studios in Agia Anna/Plaka. I offered to call and give my credit card number over the phone to reserve. The owner said that for only 4 nights i don't need to send a deposit especially that it will cost me money to do a bank transfer (true).what they normally do. It seems so very nice, but should i worry of getting there and someone else is in the apt. ?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

I don't think you need to worry, but recommend you confirm your booking about a month beforehand.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

Hey again nyvoyaguer:-) Not uncommon at all.. as a matter of fact.. you'll find most smaller rooms/studios/apartment to let by owners pefer to be paid by cash once you are there.. and they most certainly do note your reservation;-) I've booked this way for decades.. giving them a call with my dates and pay when I get there;-) Always a good idea to call them about a week or so out.. just to reconfirm.. and of course, let them know if your plans have changed.. whatever;) Have fun.. and EnJOY!

Edited: 14 January 2013, 19:22
Antwerp
Level Contributor
365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

Can only say that Stella is TOP! Location, rooms and SUPER FRIENDLY owner! Like Litsa stated, call them a week or so before you arrive... I always give them another call, when I arrive in Athens.

Never @ any issues or problems!

Enjoy your trip, to this beautiful place...

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
160 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

I really wouldn't worry about it. We have never paid a deposit and the rooms we have booked have always been available.

NY
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

Thank you for re-assurance. Especially that Stella is nice. It took me longer than planned to chose a place in Naxos (contrary to other places; maybe the choice was so big).

One more question: is this best to wait arrival in Naxos at the Port and rent a car there? Or do it ahead of time via Greeka or such websites? Is there always a car available in mid-July? What is cheapest?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

There are many car rentals - shop around when you are there.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 17:18
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

Our pleasure nyvoyageur:-) As far as rentals, find it best to rent on the spot at whichever isle we're on.. you can compare prices and get a good.. or better deal;-) Never booked a rental in advance for the isles;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

NY
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

What about a car rental from Athens for 2 weeks on mainland. After the islands we go -by car- for a 2 and a half weeks trip to Peloponese. Should we rent a car from US with pick up at Athens Airport? Would it be cheaper? Or again wait and rent in Greece?

And does it make sense to keep the car through the 3 days in Athens (at the end of our trip) or return it and spend 3 days in Athens without car and without parking headaches.?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

.. take a look at the rentals available right at the airport at www.aia.gr/ which is the airport's official site;-) You'll see a couple of the 'big boys' there.. I have no clue on rate since we never rented there.. and YES.. drop the car off at the end of your mainland adventure at the airport (bypassing City traffic as well).. head to Athens car-free.. this is NOT a City to go driving around in.. especially for sightseeing;-) If you think Manhattan is bad.. you haven't seen anything yet, lol;-) Bottom line, not a good idea IMO to get a car in any major metropolitan Capital European City;-) EnJOYin'!

10. Re: Deposit for reservation of lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 06:19