We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete to Naxos...best way?

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
Save Topic
Crete to Naxos...best way?

Seems the cat from Heraklion costs Eu 50 to Santorini. Then after 3 hours wait , a Blue Star ferry to Naxos.

Is there a better way (in May) to get to Naxos from Crete? Flights?

50 euros each to Santorini first seems high.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

Hi Tom and Kathy I am afraid that is probably your most efficient way to do this hop. Sky Express does not fly to Naxos but you could fly back to Athens and then catch a flight to Naxos. That however is going to be pretty expensive as only Olympic flys to Naxos and the flight is about 80 euro each The nice thing though you will get to see Santorini from the water.

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

Yes I could see that again....

Any ideas for an interesting way to get from Naxos back to Athens NOT through Piraeus? Perhaps a ferry to another place on the mainland and then work back to Athens overland?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

Nothing has changed since you asked the same question two weeks ago. 50 euros is the normal price you pay for a high speed catamaran on this route. In fact, the Megajet is 55 euros this year.

You can go to Rafina or Lavrio on the mainland but not directly from Naxos, so if 'interesting' involves multiple changes and overnight stays on some islands, it is of course possible. You can check connections here:

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

gtp.gr seems to show many of these direct ferries Naxos to Rafina and Lavrio.

Am I reading it wrong?

Seems only 30 min by bus to Athens airport from Rafina

Edited: 29 January 2013, 04:15
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

I do not see many direct ferries - I can only see one direct to Lavrio (Nel Lines, only on Wednesdays 15:10-23:30) and no ferries to Rafina. Blue star ferries to Piraeus take half that time. Remember we are talking about travelling in May, you are probably searching the whole year.

Rafina is indeed easier if you go to/from airport, but not if you go Athens city centre. Lavrio is about the same- easier and faster from the airport than Athens but there are fewer buses than to Rafina.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 05:56
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

I did the same search as you, and all the ferries from Naxos to Rafina started in June. Furthermore, if you were planning to go directly to the airport from Rafina for a flight home, that would be a bad idea. As I learned the hard way, never depend upon Sea Jets Consortium for a same day flight home. ;-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

at the moment only sea jet has a ferry from Heraklio to Santorini

then for economical reasons you can use blue star ferries

there is only NEL which has a ferry from Naxos to Lavrio on Wednesdays

and no ferries to Rafina as already Ozzlem has mention

all the ports Rafina, Lavrio and Piraeus have bus connection with the airport

but f your final destination is the city center of Athens it is better to go at Piraeus, as you can use the metro or buses

8. Re: Crete to Naxos...best way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:19