We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
100 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

Hi

What are the options for ferry between Athens and Naxos? This is for mid June of this year. As I understand, it takes about 5.5 hrs?

We're wondering whether to take the ferry or airways.

The only airline between Naxos and Athens is Olympic air, correct?

The ferry service - these are comfortable, big, high-speed boats and should not hopefully cause any sea-sickness?

thx

-john

Roma
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

Hi johnmani!

This summer I'll do the same route and I'll choose the ferry. Some people advise me this company:

www.bluestarferries.com/site/content.asp…

Last year I've travel with a similar big boat and you don't feel nothing for sea-sickness!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp…

You can see type of ferry along with a picture when you click on 'more information and reservations'. Yes, Olympic is the only airline flying to Naxos.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

You can see the Blue Star here:

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

The Blue Star is an all year around daily schedule between Piraeus - Paros - Naxos - Santorini. In season Ios may be added. It is the islanders' own public transport between these islands and Athens.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 08:42
bournemouth
Level Contributor
177 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

My advice would be if you want the full Island arrival thing then the Blue Star ferry is the answer.

For me travelling on the ferry is part of your visit to Greece and it's Islands, the ferry is both comfortable and enjoyable.

Why not fly oneway and ferry back that way you get both pleasures.

enjoy Sweeney

Hertfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

I would definitely choose blue star ferries. Really simple to get the metro from the airport to piraeus (change at monastiraki I think), you get off in Piraeus and the ticket counter is pretty much just over the road. We did it last year and were a bit daunted by the idea but it really is so simple! 5.5 hours sounds right, it's a pleasant journey and the ferries are comfortable. If you get the early morning ferry and want to sit on deck make sure you take a warm jumper as it may be cold (my husband was just in a tee shirt and was freezing). It might not be, on the way back it was very warm, but it's as well to be prepared :)

Enjoy Naxos, it's a wonderful place!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

There is one Blue Star ferry from Pireus to Naxos at 07:25 and one at 17:30. Day sailing is the most enjoyable. The speed of theese big ferries are 25 knots, compared to the high-speed ferries 35 knots. The big Blue Star ferries are more comfortable and gives a nice voyage sitting on the open deck enjoying the sun. Blue Star Paros/Naxos takes 1600 pax, Blue Star Delos 2400 pax. In the high-speed ferries you sit in a closed compartment and pay a higher price.

For transport from airport to Pireus, the express bus , X96, is the best option. No changing and lower price (5€). Starts just outside the arrival hall (buy your ticket in the booth at the bus-stop), and stops across the street for the ferries. Expect it to take one hour.

If you think of a flight in one or other direction, remember to book early. Planes are small (35 seats) and early sold out. Only Olympic serves this route, once or twice a day. Flight time 35 minutes, 80€. Very reliable.

Halifax, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

Hi - my daughters and I travelled last June from Naxos to Piraeus on the Blue Star ferry - it was a fabulous trip. My eldest daughter was anxious about the length of the journey as she can suffer from seasickness but she was absolutely fine. We opted to travel Business Class which is only 9.50 euros each more (I've just checked this year's prices). If you go on the Blue Star website you can see images of the lounge area - it was well worth paying the extra - so comfortable and very quiet - and of course you still go up on deck. Enjoy your trip!

Halifax, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

Hi - my daughters and I travelled last June from Naxos to Piraeus on the Blue Star ferry - it was a fabulous trip. My eldest daughter was anxious about the length of the journey as she can suffer from seasickness but she was absolutely fine. We opted to travel Business Class which is only 9.50 euros each more (I've just checked this year's prices). If you go on the Blue Star website you can see images of the lounge area - it was well worth paying the extra - so comfortable and very quiet - and of course you still go up on deck. Enjoy your trip!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

You can get an idea of what the Blue Star is like by looking up the link given in reply no. 3.

Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferries : Athens to/from Naxos?

Hello,

I'm planning a holiday in Naxos, from 8th of September until 14th of September. My question is: if I have the ferry from Naxos to Pireas at 9:45 am and plane at 21:00 pm from Athens to Bucharest, I have time to catch the plane, or should I live Naxos one day earlier, and stay a night in Pireas or Athens to be sure to catch the plane? In this period there are ferry cancellations because of meltemi winds?.

Thank you in advance

Edited: 09 June 2013, 17:25
Get answers to your questions about Naxos