We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Hi,

I am down to a handful of accom's (unsure why I am having SO SO much trouble picking one) and trying to now work out which would be best in light of having a hire car for at least 3 of the 5 days we are on Naxos (6 - 11 May).

Anyone have any advice regarding how easy it is to get in and out of the main town and Agios Georgios beach area... or if staying somewhere like the Anatoli Hotel may be better if parking a car overnight for 2 or 3 nights at least?

Accom's I've shortlisted:

- Anatoli Hotel: further out of town than the others but easiest maybe for getting around the island?

- Studios Naxos: right on Agios Georgios beach

- Studios Stratos: 50m to AG beach

- Nufaro Traditional Studios: 50m to AG beach

- Vasilikos Studios: 50 m to AG beach

- Elia Studios: 120m to AG beach

- Antonio Studios: in/near main square

- Gerontakis Studios: somewhere midway b/w AG beach & main square (about 400m each way?)

ANY opinions, advice, 2 bob's worth would be appreciated with respect to either lodgings themselves (if one stands out over the rest as all are similar in price) OR especially in regard to ease of parking a car and driving in/out to various other parts of the island.

At the moment I'm thinking we stay the 5 nights (if we only stay in Santorini for 3 nights instead of 5 nights then Naxos could be 7 nights) in the same place and just day trip each day. Any thoughts on splitting this and staying 2 nights on arrival then maybe just picking up accoms on the rest of the island as we drive around instead?

Thank you in advance for any insights whatsoever... :)

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,665 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

You can look up reviews of the hotels by putting its name in the search option on the top right of the page. I suspect that quite a few of your choices will be located in the narrow streets behind St. George beach. Parking in town can be difficult - there is a major parking lot between the town hall and the waterfront.

Moving accomodation while you are there will take time away from your itinerary using time for pacing and unpacking, check out and in, time for moving etc.

Driving in and out of town is quite easy and roads are well signed.

Here is an album for trips around the island:

http://tinyurl.com/dh9mkh

For ideas for your Naxos stay also look up donnyb's blog - photos as well as a lot of information:

mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

Mentioned in this post
Saint George Beach
Saint George Beach
606 Reviews
Naxos, Greece
stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

I stayed at the Anatoli last year and loved it. There are plenty of parking spaces and it is just off main roads to the heart of the island and excellent beaches. It's 10 to 15 minutes walk to St Georges beach and the same to the town centre and port. I never hire a car, always use public transport which is good in Naxos. However, with it being such a large island, a car will enable you to see much more of it.

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Studio Naxos has some rooms with beach view and is very close to the beach. There is free parking about 150 meters away beside Hotel Nissaki. You will have to figure out the route to get you out to the main road but the beach, parking, price and location of Studios Naxos is hard to beat.

Have you looked at Hotel Spiros. It is on the other side of hotel area and there is a free parking lot, again about 150 meters from there. The bonus is that lot ison a direct road to the main road only a few hundred meters so getting in and out to the interior and west coast beaches is easy. Spiros also has a pool.

Here is an image of the parking area beside Nissaki

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157632162394787

Pool at Spiros please note the building in the picture is Naxos Resort in the background.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157632162394787

Edited: 28 January 2014, 16:13
Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

The parking lot at the side of Nissaki are being re-arranged these days. Probably to make it more organized. A couple of new round-abouts and one-way streets, are introduced on the the roads in- and out of the town, all very good marked.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Hi Periscope. Thanks for the update. Is that parking are still available for the St George beach area or is the parking restricted.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Hi all

Thank you for the quick replies, most appreciated (btw Greek Traveller, I do read STACKS and STACKS of hotel reviews as I write a fair few myself, but Naxos has so many good places for a decent price that it is very hard to get down to just one or two LOL).

From the above replies, and some PM's, and given it will be 6 - 11 May as stated in my OP, that it will be rather quiet therefore getting in and out of Naxos town itself shouldn't be a time waster. Advice via PM was not to bother shifting around and to just hire the car daily as we want it rather than take a longer hire.

All makes sense and thank you for the confirmations on which way to run. Now just have to work out which one of those beach/town accoms tickles my fancy the most (and will look up the other one mentioned Stan, ta for that too). :)

Mentioned in this post
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Hello stanbr. It is hard to say if it is gong to be restricted, it is still under construction. Looks like it will be 4 rows of parking within concrete sidewalks, covered with the same tiles as around the hotel. Looks like it may also be a basis for a new toilet building to replace the two mobile units.

The two new roundabouts are outside the hospital, one on the road from the football field and one on the diversion to Agia Anna, The road past the Grotta area is one-way directed towards the port.

Mentioned in this post
Agia Anna
Agia Anna
Naxos, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

wishtago... , beginning of May is very early in season. My advice is to stay as close to the town as possible, You will certainly want to walk into town for your dinners, dont make it a too long walk. Access to the beach is not essential at this time of year.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

Okay... I've ditched Anatoli. The rest I can easily see on a google map and I can see Ag. George beach but I DO NOT know which part is the centre of 'the town' in terms of Periscope's reply (above).

I have tried various words in google directions to find the centre but to no avail. If I try to find the 'Kastro' I get a spot back up near Anatoli Hotel. If I try 'castle, naxos' it takes me to Antiparos! Generic words like Hora, Chora, Castle, Centre are getting me nowhere. I have found 'Portara View, Naxos, Greece' on the map next to a green square. Is this anywhere near the town centre?

The Spiros looks really nice Stan, thanks for pointing it out, but given the remarks about the parking and roads undergoing construction I'm going to stick with picking one from the 'too wide' field I already have LOL.

I am presuming maybe Antonio and Gerontakis are closer to 'the town' and the rest are classified as 'on/near the beach' rather than 'the town' (Studios Naxos, Studios Stratos, Nufaro, Vasilikos, Elia)? Or maybe it makes no difference which one I choose given it is May and parking/traffic shouldn't be an issue...

Mentioned in this post
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
Chora
Chora
470 Reviews
Amorgos, Greece
Naxos Town
Naxos Town
Naxos, Greece
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Anatoli Hotel area or A.G beach with car daily

From reading more reviews on booking.com it looks like Antonio Studios (or area around) may be near 'the town' part for restaurants, dining, etc?