We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Naxos

Millbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Naxos

Hello folks,

Two of us are staying for three weeks on Naxos in a house in Glynado. We want to rent a car for most of the time, perhaps all of it if the price is right. We are happy toake the bus to Naxos town when we feel like. I've investigated a few places for price and the various insurances and can't quite decide based on reliability and value.

So two questions:

- Is a small car like Fiat Panda or similar good enough to get us around the island and the various towns and roads or better to get a jeep-like car like the Suzuki Jimmy? I may not have car types accurate so just looking for what a good reliable car would be for the island. I drive a standard truck in the country here in Canada.

- Is there a rental agency you've used that is reliable and trustworthy for a longer term rental? The best rate I've found is 30Euros a day for a three week rental.

Thanks for any help,

Charles

Millbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Naxos

Sorry I meant to add that we are on Naxos from June 7 to June 28.

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Naxos

Not a bad rate but try Fun Cars which we found had best deals. We had a Panda and though small we came to love it (it was purple!) and it took us everywhere on the island easily. Many hairpin bends with big busses so you need a small car and be prepared to back up on a bend.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Naxos

No problem with a small car like the Panda. No need for a Jimmy.

We too used fun cars

oldham
Level Contributor
971 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Naxos

We used Funcars last year and got a good price .Just contacted through their web page for 11 days from June 9-20th and was quoted 25 euro per day for Hyundai i10 with iPod plug,and air con.Insurance with excess of 450 euro .To waive the excess was another 8 euro per day.They have offices in town and at the port .You can take out excess insurance via other companies for about 3 euro per day.Also economycarhire.com have some good rates with no excess.

Millbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Naxos

Thanks to all for the tips.

What is the Excess fee? Never heard of it and can't find anything about it on the rental sites.

Is there an agency that allows drop off at the airport? We are coming in by ferry but leaving by plane. It is not necessary, just might be convenient.

Thanks to all again and I have contacted Fun Cars and The Rental Centre for prices.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,962 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Naxos

Check with the rental company. Naxos Airport is very small and doesn't have any such services (car rental etc.). Here is to give you an idea of the airport:

http://tinyurl.com/q5gbtgt

oldham
Level Contributor
971 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Naxos

The excess fee is an amount that is taken if you have an accident in a car ,for eg if it was a total write off the most you would have to pay is the excess fee,funcars is 450 euro for small car ,if car larger or more expensive the excess fee is higher.These fees are usually in the terms and conditions of rental.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 13:11
Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Naxos

Agree that a small car is perfect for Naxos. Last July, we rented from MotoFalcon (located on the main road between St. George and Naxos town) and paid 25 euro for a one day rental; this included all insurance and fees. You should be able to get an even better daily rate with a 3 week rental. Not much advance booking was needed; walked into their office the day before to make the arrangements and the car was ready for us early the next morning. Have a great trip!

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Naxos

I've been to Naxos 4 times and this year we will be on the island at the beginning of June for 2 weeks. I've always used Apollon Cars based in Naxos town. They have met us at the port arriving on Blue Star and last year we dropped of the car at the airport. Always had a small Suzuki type 3 door car with A/C and have always been pleased with the service and the car. We stay near Alyko at the south of the island so a car is essential. Appx cost 20 Euros per day with an extra 50 euros for complete comprehensive insurance (payable on arrival). Never had a problem so would'nt hesitate to recommend them.

Millbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Naxos

Thanks to all for your terrific help! I have written several of the agencies and will book soon.

We look forward to loving Naxos as much as you!