We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

I have read several TA posts w/some info, but I'm still wondering if I should book air seat or business on the Blue Star Delos from Athens to Naxos. We are traveling on a Sunday morning at the end of June. I know it's a personal choice, but not knowing what the experience is like I'm not clear.

I will be w/3 kids, and was going to book air seats so we would have somewhere to sit guaranteed. I'm hesitating now as from what I've read it sounds like we would not necessarily be assigned seats together. Is that correct? Then in business class on the other hand, we can sit together, but it sounds like there are not assigned seats at all, so no guarantee of a place to sit right when you want it (??).

So, I am wondering, one, if my inferences above are correct or not... And also, at the end of June, would business class have plenty of seating available for the number of passengers likely to be riding so that 3 kids and a (not very pushy) mom will be able to sit if we want/need to, or could we possibly pay the higher fee and end up sitting on the floor as couches/seats are already claimed by more savvy passengers?

Any advice is much appreciated!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

Hey and welcome sandra s:-) Don't overthink this too much, lol;-) Blue Star ferries are large.. hold thousands.. rarely get booked up.. and chances are the kids will be outdoors on the deck taking in the experience;-) Kind of like a mini-cruise here.. you're not confined to your seats.. FWIW, most don't even use their seat unless they're sleeping;-)) I'd get the most economical tickets available .. you'll find lounges, snack bar.. loads of seats around and it's far from mayhem end June;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

Hi,

Quite honestly you are overthinking far too much about a simple ferry journey on one the largest and newest ferries.

Economy booked aircraft seats should be fine and best value. The layout of virtually every ferry is just that bit different so obviously guaranteeing seats together is not really possible, you are correct.

However, most people will adjust to suit you or there will be seating that is not booked or do the musical chairs bit with the stackable seats.

The day and time of year suggests the ferry won't be full.

Business class tends to be emptier, I only ever peer in there.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

I have even found Business Class to be less comfortable and pleasant than an air seat in Economy.

No point in booking Business Class in June

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

Thanks for the info, I think I've got a better idea of what to expect now!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

I always use business class on Blue Star. The lounge is at the front of the ship with windows on three sides. Seats aren't reserved because some people like to relax on the sofas and then move to tables and chairs when they are ready to eat. Stewards in white jackets bring your order to the table. Ticket numbers are limited, and the lounge is restricted to business class ticket holders only.

Many families like business class because their children can stretch out & nap on the comfortable sofas, and it's easier to keep track of them when they get up. Any time you like you can leave business class to go out on the open deck or stroll around the ship, and your tickets will be checked when you return. Use this interactive page to get a panorama of business class and other areas on Blue Star Delos: www.bluestarferries.com/site/content.asp…

Business class ticket prices are very reasonable, IMO, but with a family of five you may want to economise. There will be enough empty air seats on a Sunday morning that even if your tickets aren't assigned together you can sit together anyway. If you are sitting in someone else's seat they will usually just sit somewhere else rather than make a fuss.

Sunday is a day when more people are coming back to the mainland than going out to the islands. Whichever you decide it shouldn't be crowded that day.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,792 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

Here is to give you an idea of Blue Star vessels:

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

London, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

We took the morning Blue Star from Piraeus to Naxos in late September last year. It was really busy and the only place to sit was on hard little wooden chairs at a table in the cafeteria. Not the end of the world but after an overnight flight from the UK a bit of comfort and the option to snooze would have been nice.

Heimdall thanks for the advice, we will use business class next time.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

A word of warning then. Paying for business class will not buy you higher class of people you to share it with. The lack of reseved seating in business class is a real drawback. If the ferry is busy, business class will be busy too, people will be on the constant lookout for better seats and your seats are found to be attractive enough, they may be unceremoniously taken over by someone else even you leave your things on them to indicate that you are not disembarking and will be coming back. After it happened to me twice, I gave up on business class and only recommend it if you indend to stay put the whole journey or are prepared to make a scene to reclaim your seat and admonish the intruders for touching your stuff. Reserved air seats are the best value.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 08:57
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

How busy the ferry will be depends not only on time of year, but what day of the week and direction you are travelling. Obviously ferries travelling out to the islands on Fridays or Saturday mornings will be busier than Sundays. On Sundays more people are travelling back to the mainland on the ferry's return leg. Sundays are especially busy for ferries going to the mainland at the end of August and beginning of September when families are returning home from their holidays for the start of the school year.

What Ozzlem wrote about seats in business class sometimes being taken when you get up is true, but I have never been left with nowhere to sit. That does happen in economy, though. Comfortable seats in the restaurant areas are often occupied for the whole trip by people who aren't even eating. On busy days you could even end up with no seat at all and sit on the deck. Even when I've had a reserved air seat I've often found someone sitting in it after I've been away, because people wander in from economy and sit down in empty seats. Usually if you show them your ticket with the seat number they will get up and move to another seat.

For Blue Star to Naxos air seats are €5 more than economy, and business class €8.50 more than air seats. I call that a bargain, especially compared with business class on the airlines.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 11:03
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,792 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Star Delos to Athens-Naxos

I do like Heimdall and find the business class very convenient.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 12:49