We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

I'd like to know how reliable the hydrofoils are in the summer. I stayed in Naxos a number of years ago whilst island-hopping and I remember that my friend and I weren't able to go to Mykonos for a day due to strong wind - the Meltemi? I'm now going with my husband in August, flying to Mykonos then onward travel to Naxos, and am wondering about the best arrangement for getting back to Mykonos for our return flight. Our flight back isn't until the evening and I've seen that there are Sea Jets (hydrofoils?) but am concerned they could be cancelled due to strong winds. I'm assuming that Blue Star and Hellenic are ferries, but they depart too late. Would it be better to travel to Mykonos the day before and stay there the night? Could anyone recommend too which company I should choose or any other tips for arranging travel between the 2 islands?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

Just as we advise returning to the mainland a day or two before flights from Athens, it would be advisable to return to Mykonos a day or two before your flight from that island. In August you will have a choice between catamarans or conventional ferries for your return to Mykonos. For example, in August the very reliable Blue Star Ithaki sails that route every day leaving Naxos at 17:00, arriving on Mykonos at 19:25. Blue Star ferries sail in all but the most severe weather: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndVdCjxS3U

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

That's great, thank you. You've confirmed what I'd suspected. Thanks for tip about which company too. I hope we don't have to travel in weather like that, though!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

Heimdall has given you some sound advice. However, I travelled by catamaran from Paros to Mykonos to catch a flight home a few years ago. But I was watching the weather forecast and would have travelled the day before if there was any doubt about the weather. Hellenic Seaways' Highspeed 5 is a large car-carrying catamaran and Seajets are using Masterjet and Megajet in the peak season this year. These are also larger catamarans than Seajets have used previously, so it is less likely that there will be cancellations.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

Thank you for more great advice. I've just been looking again for travel when we arrive. Seems the only likely one we'll be able to get is a superjet, the last one of the day. We would like to get tickets in advance. What happens if one you book is cancelled? Are you allowed to use the ticket to travel on the next one available, the following day, if necessary?

5. Re: Travel between Naxos and Mykonos in August.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:17