We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping late September

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping late September

We are arriving in Athens in late September for a couple of weeks and looking to island hop the Cyclades group, maybe 3 islands maximum. Specifically looking at Sifnos, Folegandros (have been before and loved it) and one other. As the first two islands are more traditional and quiet I thought perhaps Paros or Naxos would provide an alternative and finishing point to get back to Athens. Can anyone advise on the latter two islands as to which is the better of the two for history, sights, food (not nightclubs goers) and provides the best connections directly back to Athens. Thank you!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping late September

For how long do you intend to stay on the island ? Naxos is the biggest of the Cyclades, but has also a lot to offer. Some of the best beaches in Greece, a scenic and spectacular mountainous interior with some 30 small authentic villages

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189431-c163441/Nax…

some historical sites

http://tinyurl.com/chug6h

and many good tavernas - in and around the waterfront, in the Old Town part and in the villages around the island.

Old Town

http://tinyurl.com/bnjn6g

Naxos has a small airport for daily flights to and from Athens, and is on the daily all year around schedule on Blue Star for Santorini - Naxos - Paros - Piraeus.

For more about Naxos look up this blog from donnyb with lots of information and great photos:

mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

Edited: 17 July 2014, 09:01
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping late September

Hi,

They are both the same for ferries to Piraeus, equally good.

You may just as well throw a coin in the air and choose between Paros and Naxos. Both are now mainstream tourist islands, of similar tourist development and size.

This forum is mostly hardcore Naxos fans, however Paros has more merits in respect of variety. Greater choice and variety of beaches, more sights including Antiparos nearby.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping late September

Yes both are equally well served by ferries for returning to Piraeus so that shouldn't cause any conflicts in your planning. Of the two Naxos (hardcore Naxos fan speaking here) being the larger and more diverse options would be my choice with Naxos town being less tourist orientated (slightly) than Parikia. Hiring a car here would be more beneficial here than Paros and would provide full access to all that the Island has too offer whereas the bus service on Paros could, in the main, do that job for you.

As already mentioned Paros has the advantage of being close to Anti Paros which is a lovely compact island often overlooked and neglected by island hoppers. It tends to start winding down in the middle of the month but my friend Theologos keeps his rooms and apartments going until the end of the month although I haven't been there that late. Depending how long you are going to be on Naxos or Paros it could well be worth basing yourself on Anti Paros and exploring Paros from there on a daily basis using the landing craft type ferry over to Pounda.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island hopping late September

In Naxos town you will find hotels and accommodation available all year around, and in the villages life goes on like always.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island hopping late September

I visited both Naxos and Paros this summer as part of an island-hopping trip, I had been to neither before.

Personally I preferred Naxos and felt it had more to see inland than Paros - though it was nice to be able to visit Antiparos as part of the Paros trip.

I think maybe food was of a higher standard in Paros (we stayed in Naoussa) - but it was also a lot more expensive....

Different nationalities seem to converge on different islands. Heard a lot more Americans/Aussies in Naxos. Lots of French people in Paros.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island hopping late September

There are a few Daily Boat Trips from Naxos to nearby islands like Mykonos, Delos, Rhenia, Koufonisia or Schoinousa. Late September the weather should still be nice to sail from Naxos to one of those islands, especially Delos!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island hopping late September

We were on Naxos last Oct. and after going to many Greek Islands in the past feel Naxos offers the best of Old & New World Greece with it's lovely waterfront, old Chora, beaches and many places for dining and shopping. It has some of the best inland villages anywhere with Chalki and Apiranthos among the finest. The bus ride from Naxos Town to Appollona rivals any ride anywhere with fabulous mountains, valleys, hills, cascading towns down hillsides, agriculture, ocean views, churchs, etc. all the way to Appollonia, small, lovely seaside town with not much going on if you are there during the offseason. The ride is the thrill not the destination. We stayed at St. George Beach, just a short walk from the waterfront, and in a quiet out of the way area. There is a town square even closer outside the main tourist area with tavernas, shops and other businesses. I highly recommend Naxos. Having said all that about Naxos we are booked for an early October stay in Paros!

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island hopping late September

Hi there. I plan on travelling to Athens and then to the islands during mid September along with my 3 kids. Since this is my first time on the islands I would really welcome suggestions about affordable accommodation in an authentic greek bnb.

Secondly, I plan to catch a flight from athens to rome at 4pm so is it a good idea to get an early morning ferry to pireaus and then take a train to the airport or would it be wiser to stay the night in athens.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Island hopping late September

hi Mehreen M,it's always best to start your own thread rather than use someone else's.

hving said that,it is always recommended to spend at least a day before your flight in athens,to make sure no delays-cancelations affect you.

as foryour question for affordable rooms,it is very vague,you don't mention which islands,what is your budget for a room per night in euros..etc....especially after mid september you can find basic affordalble rooms everywhere in greece..

http://www.booking.com/ is a good site to find hotel rooms,if you click on ''additional search options'' you can customize your search according to your budget.

Islamabad, Pakistan
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island hopping late September

Thankyou ffor the suggestions. I am kind of figuring my way around the forums so didn't quite know how to begin a new thread.

I plan on visiting Naxos and staying there for 3-4 days. I'll probably do a day trip to santorini or any other island in the vicinity which is historically very significant. I am looking more into old towns and medieval forts along with the sun and beaches aspect. It's a trip for my children so I am keeping the educational aspect in mind along with the fun bit.