We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos or tinos?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos or tinos?

We are travelling with two families and 5 children....13-8 years. July 2015.

Wondering which would be best for a real Greek experience and sandy beaches? Naxos or tinos? Or a week on each? Thinking of flying into Mykonos.

I last went to naxos in 1979 and fell in love with the place, but I'm guessing it's changed a lot??

Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
466 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos or tinos?

My preference would be naxos, it has more to offer...

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos or tinos?

Have a look in donnyb's blog to get an idea about Naxos today:

Naxos still has some of the best beaches in Greece, and I agree with Kristinaki - it has much more to offer.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos or tinos?

Tinos is okay for a day visit IMHO....Tinos town is a typical Cyclades town with the extra benefit of the Church at the top the hill that attracts pilgrims which in effect attracts market sellers (100.s) selling the same old tat.

Naxos has everything IMHO with some the best beaches to rival parts of the Caribbean.

If you had mentioned Syros (Siros) which is only a short 20ish minute ferry ride from Tinos (..30ish minute from Mykonos) then I would have said that was worth a weeks holiday but not Tinos.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 16:47
Level Contributor
380 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos or tinos?

It depend... if you are into churches and all that "hanky panky" that comes with it... I would go for Tinos... if you are into beaches and everything that comes around with THAT... I would go for Naxos...

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos or tinos?

It would certainly be Naxos for me too for the reasons already listed. Yes Naxos has changed considerably since 1979 but it is still the same Naxos, if that makes sense.

You no doubt you ate barbequed chicken at Popi's Grill on the sea front in 1979. Here is a link to a piece written about it for you which will bring memories flooding back. …wordpress.com/2014/…

I don't know how old Popi is but she is still there. She doesn't (can't) rush round like she used to and now just sits by the till guarding the money!

los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naxos or tinos?

I would say Naxos would be the best option . I have been to TInos on a day trip on Blue Star Ferries from Syros. The main town of Tinos is nice . But more to do in Naxos. Syros town is quite nice ,but there are limited dining options and you would need a car or take the local bus to the beached.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naxos or tinos?

Agree with Naxos. We were there last Oct. and it was wonderful . . . a great combination of Old & New World, a lovely waterfront in Naxos Town with a fantastic old town just off the main road and a great archeological site right on the waterfront known as the "Porto", an ancient temple never really completed to the God Appollo. There are also other temples in the area, very nice beaches, tavernas, shops and very nice interior villages in the mountains, lots of agriculture, churches, and the most fantastic bus ride from Naxos Town to Appollonia. Highly recommend Naxos!

Edited: 29 August 2014, 19:16
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naxos or tinos?

Another vote for Naxos over Tinos.

9. Re: Naxos or tinos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 06:18