We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking and Cycling in Paros

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walking and Cycling in Paros

I have booked Livadia Hotel in Parikia for mid-October. The places in Naoussa looked more upscale and wonderful but followed the advice of everyone that there would be more going on in Parikia at that time of year.

Then I came across Butterfly Villas in Paros. What an amazingly beautiful place. According to their website, it is only 6 km. from the port in Parikia and 5 km from the airport. The port of Punta and Agia Irini beach are 3 km away. If there are no amenities close to the villas,we would not have a problem walking the 6k's to Parikia, or even better, cycling to get to the restaurants/shops. Are the roads amenable to that? If not, we will stick with our original plan. If the roads are fine, are there places to rent decent bicycles in Parikia? Of course renting a car is another option but we do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and that would rule out any driving.

Even though I'm already booked, I can cancel the reservation should Butterfly Villa be a better option.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

The main road between Parikia and Pounta is good, but elevated from the sea most of the way. I doubt there will be many nearby amenities open in mid-October, and walking along the road, especially after dark, is not be a good idea. There is bus service along the main road, with reduced service in October.

If you are happy to spend most of your time around the villa, Butterfly might be a good choice, but were it me I would stay in Parikia that time of year. Not only will there be more to do, Parikia is the hub for bus services around the island.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

I second Heimdall, stay in Parikia. You will probably be rather alone in the Villas, as it is after their main season. Hotel Livadia is nicely situated along the road at the beach a few hundred metres outside Parikia center. If you have sea-front rooms you may watch the ships coming in and out of the port.

Renting bicycles may be a good idea. In May we met a Norwegian couple who bicycled around the entire island in two days. The coastline is rather level and easy to bicycle, and you often have choices between more or less trafficed roads.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

Again, thanks for your sage advice. We will stick with our original plan to stay in Parikia. We are avid cyclists and would have no problem spending the day exploring the island that way. Nice to know we won't need to be overly concerned with dense traffic. I'm pretty excited to be adding that to our itinerary.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

Hello.

I admit I have been to Paros many years ago.

However I propose if you rent bikes to have a headlamp and a red back light to see and be seen at night.

Also in Athens during October there are free bike rides almost every day in various areas around the city

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

Here you can see some paths

. http://www.parosweb.com/guide/walking-routes .

. …wikiloc.com/diadromes/…paros .

Τhe second link has the descriptions in greek but you can click on the blue titles to see the links or google translate

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

Great websites, aldro10 - thanks for sharing. Also came across "Map My Ride" which shows a 68k route that's most of the parameter of the island. Very doable as a day trip. Would not even think of cycling at night but good advice re: the headlamp for anyone who plans otherwise.

mapmyride.com/gr/paros-south-aegean/67-85-km…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

Well done sueinns . There is also this somewhat smaller, or maybe the same round . http://connect.garmin.com/course/3558074 .

Enjoy Paros

Edited: 12 July 2013, 19:07
8. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 08:35
9. Re: Walking and Cycling in Paros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 07:18