We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May

Atlanta
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in May

I am traveling to Santorini in May for the first time and was wondering if the temperature is time of the year and if it���s suitable for swimming?

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May

Have a look at

http://www.weatherbase.com/

This site shows the weather data for Naxos

Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May

I am travelling to Santorini in May also. My travel agent said the weather should be similar to here (Alabama).

Missy

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May

Hmm. Generally greek seas are not the warmest waters of the globe. The more clean the waters, the more cool they are. Local people start swimming late May depending on the weather. I would say that you should bring your swimming equipment with you, and decide when on site. Also keep in mind that beaches facing to the south are warmer than the others facing in the north due to the local winds.

Alabama
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May

That's great advice. Will the weather (out of the water) be fairly warm? Warm days and cool nights?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May

We were in Greece last May and the weather was "comfortable" (high 60's low 70's in farenheit) Did the volcano tour on Santorini, including the hot springs, which you had to swim to from the boat. The water was quite chilly, but once you were out of it, you warmed up quickly.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in May

Exactly as you said. Bring some kind of a jacket for chilly nights. Santorini, as an island, has a somehow humid weather, something which, maybe, you are not accustomed to. Usually, May is a warm month but, as you know, these years weather has gone mad. Yesterday was a cold day with light rain showers and today we are bursting from the heat in Athens! Also take in mind that my best visit in Santorini was ten yrs ago during the middle of winter with fog and raining and it was even better than summer!

Atlanta
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in May

Thanks for the advice.