We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini in october.

cornwall
2 posts
Save Topic
Santorini in october.

We are planning a holiday in Santorini during the first two weeks in october and would like to know what the weather will be like, and whether all attractions and boat trips will be operating.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini in october.

The island's activities will be winding down in early October but the boat trips should still be running. The days will be sunny, cooled by wind and in the evenings the wind will be stronger and a light jacket or sweater will probably be necessary.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini in october.

Rachael,

I am in a similar position. I will be in Santorini in mid-October. It looks like it is hit or miss. Here's one time, when I wish for global warming! (just kidding)

Last year, it was cooler:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

in 2005 it was warmer

wunderground.com/history/…

in 2004 it was even warmer

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

Manchester, uk
Level Contributor
421 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini in october.

We have been to Santorini for the last 2 years in the first week of October. Everything is open, but seem to start closing approx 14th Oct. The weather is lovely, still warm although you will need a jacket at night. Also it is not too busy as I would imagine in high season. It is a lovely time to go and we are already booked again for this year.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini in october.

I was there in mid-October last year. We weren't hindered at all by closings, and we loved the lower rates on hotels.

I can't speak about the weather, because I was in Crete and Santorini last year during some extraordinarily bad weather that certainly can't be considered the norm (considering it was record flooding in Crete!).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
971 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini in october.

Is swimming in the sea a possibility in late September or early October?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini in october.

If the sun is out, it can be about the best time there is...The waters are at their best as well, having been warmed up all Summer long from the sun:) Evenings, regardless, do cool down fast..along with the sun when it sets:) Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini in october.

It depends on the general weather and your personal likings.

Greek Seas are in general chilly ( but very very clean too ).

In general we swim till mid September. Nevertheless every year i see foreign visitors swimming till mid October if weather stays warm a little longer.

But this depends on their personal feeling. You seem we are used to warm and hot weather.

So, what seems warm to us may seem hot to you and

what seems slightly chilly to us may seem mild or warm to you :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
971 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini in october.

Trying to advise on weather is difficult of course... mother nature is sooooooooooo unpredictable.... but I think when "we" foreigners ask what's the weather like at certain times.... Nick arch sums it up the best... "we swim till mid September" ... means to me, Canadian from Ontario ...that I may swim later. May be a bit cool if your used to hot weather.

Thank you...