We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Photos on Santorini

Denver
Level Contributor
184 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Photos on Santorini

Does anyone have any "secret" location where I can photograh the sunset. I have heard the crowds are horrendous. We are staying at Lava Oias so we don't have a sunset view. Any suggestions about where to go? Thanks.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

The crowds may be horrendous in Oia, but there are literally dozens and dozens of places along the footpath between Fira and Oia -- especially in Imerovigli -- that won't be packed with people and will be ideal for photographing the sunset. Skaros Rock in Imerovigli is another great spot with unobstructed views, and you definitely won't find crowds there.

Denver
Level Contributor
184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

Thank you. How do I find Skaros Rock?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

I agree with donnyb. But in town, there are also dozens of places. Just walk to the north end of the village for fewer obstructions.

I liked this vantage point when I was there, as it added a nice decorative aspect.:

…webshots.com/photo/2456526270098525298zDvSTq

It wasn't the most spectacular sunset, but it was pretty.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

You can't miss Skaros Rock because of its distinctive shape; you reach it by descending a series of trails and steps from the footpath in Imerovigli.

I've got many photos of Skaros Rock in my Webshots albums but one in particular will give you a good idea of what it looks like; it's an album called "Greece 2006: Santorini -- sunset hike to Skaros Rock" and it's at the following link: http://community.webshots.com/user/donnyb1507

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

Starting in May the island tour companies will be bringing busloads of cruise ship tourists to Oia to watch the "famous" sunset. There will be no 'secret' location not already occupied by many people wanting to find the very same spot. But if you walk down the road that winds around the end of the village towards Amoudi you will more than likely not find too many people there since it means walking back up a steep road to return to the village. Anywhere along that road you will have an unobstructed view of the sunset. What you won't see from there are the buildings changing colors as the sun gets lower and lower in the sky. For me this is much more interesting to watch then the sun actually dropping behind the horizon out at sea.

Denver
Level Contributor
184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

So Brotherlee is there a vantage point you recommend to get good shots of the buildings. I have three days so I would be delighted to get more than one photographic perspective. What about sunrise, any suggestion?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

There are so many good vantage points I can't even begin to name them all. Lava Oia will provide you with one. You can also go to the Castle where everyone watches the sunset and face the other direction towards the village. In between you can just stand anyplace along the cliff to see what I've described. Also, the suggestion to go to Imerovigli for a different vantage poing is an excellent one.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

Poing!!

(read: point)

Denver
Level Contributor
184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

thank you!

Denver
Level Contributor
184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Photos on Santorini

mntoathens- Your photos are great. Thank you for sharing.

donnyb - your link did not work.