We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

We have booked a flight into Santorini May 6th and booked a flight back to Athens from Milos May 21st. Thinking we could spend some time on Serifos and Sifnos before maybe 4 days on Milos (using Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 1 between these islands).

I,(possibly foolishly) thought we should be able to find some ferries running from Santorini, sometime, over to one of these islands. But now I have started researching, I cannot find any ferries that seem to go this way.

We are even prepared to go via Ios or Paros. But again, using all the ferry search engines, we can't find a way across.

We don't really want to have to go all the way back to Piraeus to get back down to Milos and then fly back to Athens.

Can anyone please help.?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

According to www.gtp.gr, RIGHT NOW there are at least 5 ferries a week between Santorini and Milos, and at least 2 of them stop at Sifnos and Serifos. I think you can't find anything for May because the schedules just haven't been finalized yet. Have some faith and patience, you'll be able to get there in May!

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Thanks BrotherLeeLove, for the info. as usual your advise is most welcome.

However I have just received an email from a travel agent in Sifnos, with whom I'd asked the same question :-

"I’m afraid we are in the same situation (struggling to find a ferry from Santorini to Sifnos in May). The ferry company that serves this line has decided (last week) to take out the boat for its annual service until the end of May and no other ferry is replacing it"

Can I panic now please?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

It's not time to panic yet. According to www.gtp.gr there are two ferry companies that travel this route, GA Ferries and Hellenic Seaways. I'm assuming it's GA Ferries that will be servicing their ship, so why not contact Hellenic Seaways and ask if they're going to be picking up the slack? Once you know for sure you can plan accordingly.

I also suggest you contact Dolphin-Hellas Travel and Fantasy Travel in Athens to ask if they have any information regarding the ferries on this route. They are two of the most reliable Greek travel agencies that work out travel plans for visitors to Greece, and if anyone other than the ferry companies has the 'inside information' it would be these two

www.dolphin-hellas.gr

fantasytravelofgreece.com/english/index.html

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Hi infoaddict,

I got your post, thank you. I have a contact on the island of Sifnos who will keep an eye on the situation.

Also will take Brother's advice too.

Fingers crossed :)

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Thanks BrotherLeeLove for your info. I haven't replied sooner, as I have been acting on your advice.

I have emailed both travel agents you listed and am still awaiting replies.

I have tried to contact GA Ferries, but can't find an email address. Infact the only main GA Ferries site I could find was all in Greek. The main Google hit is for www.ferries.gr which seems to be run by Paleologos Shipping and Enterprises. I emailed them and they replied by just saying look at the usual FORTH search engine and if it's not on there, then there aren't any ferries. Great!!

You also mention Hellenic Seaways. I have tried their booking system, but they don't seem to have a link from Santorini to any of the above islands. I know they go from Santorini to Paros etc and also do the Piraeus - Milos run. But don't seem to do a connection across. Have I missed something?

BanRi - I have had a good reply on the Milos forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494953-i9770-k113…

This seems to agree with BrotherLeeLove. We must be a little more patient.

But I must admit I am finding it hard to be so. It is only just over 3 weeks until we will be in Santorini and I find it hard to believe the ferry timetables aren't available yet. Maybe we will have to start working on Greek time!!

Anyway let's all plod on a bit longer. For us it is imaterial, as we have already booked our flight back from Milos, so by some means we will get there someday. Will have to get the goose fat out and prepare for a long swim!!

If the timetable that Retired Hippy has linked on the Milos forum, still applies, then we will catch the Thursday ferry (Look at the the Departures from Rhodos) and then, later, travel up the Sifnos Serifos route, before returning to Milos. BanRi - looks like you will have catch the Sunday ferry and overnight in Milos before travelling up to Sifnos for the 15th.

Here is the link for Hellenic Seaways booking system

http://hellenicseaways.forth-crs.gr/english/

It runs every day, takes 50 minutes and costs 15euros

Keep watching. I'm sure more will develope over the next week or so.

If you want to contact me to discuss ferries, Sifnos and your spy! My email address is migaff@yahoo.com

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

OK - another option.

After yet more research I have found that there are ferries from Santorini to Folegandros and from there a direct ferry to Sifnos (and then for us down to Milos). But it means stopping over in Folegandros for a few days.

This may be an option for us, as it is meant to be an island hopping holiday, with no set route (as yet) in between certain points. Those points being Santorini to start, Milos to get back to Athens and then to Symi via Rhodes.

So off to do some investigation on Folegandros now!!

FYO , FORTH search engines do not show these ferries - Use www.gtp.gr

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Guess who!!

More research, and you don't need to stop over in Folegandros if you don't want. But only if you travel on Sunday

Saos ferry departs Santorini Monday, Thursday and Sunday and goes via Thirassia, Ios, Sikinos to Folegandros.

Departs Athinios port at 10.00 and arrives Folegandros at 13.25

Can't get details on prices online

Then Aegean Speed Lines leave Folegandros on Sundays only, in May (up to the 28th, after that they do Wednesdays also) and travels via Milos to Sifnos and beyond.

Departs Folegandros 15.10 and arrives Sifnos at 17.30. Economy fare to Sifnos 16 euros.

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Brilliant digging Infoaddict! I am seriously impressed. We are due in Greece on the 11th May, Santorini on the 12th til the 15th staying at the S Princess, so that booking has to stay. I'm going to trawl through all the info you've posted and see what looks most suitable for us.

Let the Greek experience begin!

Dublin
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

Hi Infoaddict,

Just checking through your info. It's not looking too good for us. If we don't leave Santorini on Monday, we'll have to wait til Thursday - which was not in our plans (plans? what plans!!) unless there is some other combination or permutation of ferries I can think of. My spy in Sifnos is Sarah from Hotel Stravos who has been as helpful as she can be! I presume you've been on to Matt Barrett's Greek Website - it's fantastic. I actually met him on Kea two years ago, anyway, I digress. So Sarah said to email her nearer the time, she's bound to know something more at that stage.....

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - Santorini To Serifos, Sifnos or Milos in May

It's driving me crazy, because I saw something on this Sifnos ferry situation this morning on one of the internet travel forums, but I can't remember which (Thorn tree???).

The item said that a ferry serving the Santorini-Sifnos run was being taken out of service for annual maintenance for the Month of May, and it was not planned to replace it with another vessel.

This morning I was on TT, Frommers, Fodor's and this board... but I can't locate the item ... maybe someone else can.