We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

Birmingham, Alabama
1 post
Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

We are returning to Athens from Santorini on Ryanair Wednesday, Oct 3. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 9:10 and we have a departure time of 11:45 on American Air to the US. Will that be enough time to collect our bags and get back through security? When I first booked the flight I didn't think it would be problem and now I am second guessing myself!

Any experience with Ryanair delays or cancellations? Are they typically on time?

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
127 posts
1. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

Ryanair has a pretty good punctuality record, punctuality it's one of the better things about this airline. I don't know how punctual it is on the Santorini to Athens route but I think there are websites that track such data (ask on the Air Travel forum perhaps) or monitor arrivals on the Athens Airport website for a couple of days to get an idea https://www.aia.gr/traveler/flight-info/rtfi/

Unfortunately the today's flight has already been deleted so you need to check earlier than in late afternoon.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

Hi, we just returned from Santorini via Athens and had a much shorter time for the connecting flight (think it was just over an hour) and made it no bother.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,525 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

If you’re travelling on non-EU passports you need to print out boarding passes and have them checked / stamped. This is most likely landslide.

No stamp, no boarding. Details on their website.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

As long as your flight to Athens isn't significantly delayed 2.5 hours is plenty of time to make your flight home.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
140 reviews
5. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

Athens airport is relatively small and very efficient, you have plenty of time.

BUT what if, the flight is late?, they cannot fly? they cannot land in Santorini? etc

We had a noon flight and would not take a chance and arrived the night before went for a nice last dinner in Athens and then had a nice long sleep as we knew we were secure.

Calgary
Level Contributor
742 posts
160 reviews
6. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

www.flightaware.com will give you the specific flight details and tardiness reports etc.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,256 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

Do bear in mind that Ryanai use the satellite terminal, a 15-20 minutes walk from the main terminal.

Level Contributor
127 posts
8. Re: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!

Yesterday that morning flight landed in Athens 15 minutes before scheduled, the flight at midnight - 10 minutes before scheduled. The warning about the visa check is valid, Ryanair will not wait for you if you're turned from the gate to go back to get it. In fact, Ryanair do not not wait for anybody. They just round up those who are at the gate and depart.

Reply to: Return flight Santorini to Athens-need some reassurance!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted