We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Crete or split time and go to Santorini???

Atlanta
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 Days in Crete or split time and go to Santorini???

Our plan is still in flux.. but we will be coming from Kas, Turkey via Marmaris to Rhodes and then going either to Crete or Santorini. My ideal would be to stay 2 nights in Santorini and 3 in Crete.... my budget tells me we should spend all 5 nights in Crete... however my heart tells me that if I don't see Santorini, I'll regret it!!

Any budget ideas on how to pull both off?

Caversham, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Crete or split time and go to Santorini???

Crete deserves the maximum amount of time possible. Given the excellent bus system, it is possible to get around fairly easily.

I think that incoming Rhodes ships stop at Sitia. If this is the case, jump off there, spend 3 days exploring the eastern end of Crete, then hop a bus to Iraklio and ferry to Santorini. For me personally, the biggest thrill is arriving by sea at the island. There are budget hostels in Fira Town, Persissa and Oia.

www.gtp.gr will help plan your ferry trips, but the site, whilst reliable does not necessarily show all ferries, so dig around with Google as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Crete or split time and go to Santorini???

Hi,

We were in Santorini for 3 days and Crete for 4. Today is our last day in Crete. Honestly, if you don't see Santorini, you'll regret it... in my opinion. Just because it's so different from the other islands (white houses on a cliff with gorgeous views). Crete is beautiful, but very different from Santorini. Even with 5 days in Crete, you'll probably only see one side of the island. Most people try to do either all of the west or all of the east. But definitely go to Santorini... it's just so beautiful!!

hope this helps

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
965 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Crete or split time and go to Santorini???

Don't miss Santorini.

4. Re: 5 Days in Crete or split time and go to Santorini???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 16:18