We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1800 and Amrbosia - overated or a must?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1800 and Amrbosia - overated or a must?

I have reservations for both of these restaurants for my honeymoon in August, but have seen mixed reviews. I would like something romantic, great good, great wine, and a great view! Any help is appreciated.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1800 and Amrbosia - overated or a must?

Both have great food and both are very spendy.

If you're looking for a better view, it's Ambrosia by a long shot. And as I always feel the need to point out, don't confuse Ambrosia with neighboring eatery Ambrosia and Nectar.

As to whether either is a must, I'd say no. But it depends on what you're looking for. If you want one big splurge dinner, my recommendation is Ambrosia. Just one man's opinion. That terrace seating is incredible.

You can get a little glimpse (though not great) by doing image searches online.

california
Level Contributor
484 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1800 and Amrbosia - overated or a must?

we ate at both and Ambrosia nector (it was the best out of the 3 in my opionon.)

not sure where you live but we live in San Francisoc CA and comparing 1800 to any of the top resturants here - it was awful! We were not impressed - the setting of course is nice (if you're lucky enough to get a table by the edge on the roof so you have a view) it was overproced an meicore food..

ambrosia - the setting was amazing! so romatic! ther are only a few tables on the deck - we eneded up sitting next to people who knew someone we knew from SF... so it was not the most romatic dinner of the trip but it certainly was one of the most fun!

We really like ambrosia nector -the food was the best! =)

Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1800 and Amrbosia - overated or a must?

We loved Ambrosia and requested a table right on the balcony's edge. Another restaurant on the same side of the road with awesome views and great food that is less $$ than Ambrosia - but still similar in quality is Ferendini. We even ate there 2X during our 4 night visit.

4. Re: 1800 and Amrbosia - overated or a must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 02:16